Registration of Social Events
All campus events sponsored by an organization and all house social events (Registered House Parties, Registered House Programs, Small Private Events/Apartment Parties, House/Senior Banquets) held in a campus house must be registered. All Organizations and Houses must register their event by completing the Event Form found on the Smith Social Network.
The general guidelines for parties and social events are as follows:
- Gatherings of 10 or more students in student rooms or apartments are considered parties and must be registered with the coordinator of house events in the Office of Residence Life. In a residence house, the event must be held in a public space of the house and is not to include the house corridors or student rooms.
- It is mandatory that a residence life professional staff member do a walk-through with the event sponsor(s) and review the setup of parties in each house before each party. Such review includes assessing arrangements such as the location of the bar and setup of door watch, stair watch, etc. to see if any suggestions can be made to help make the party run smoothly and the house more secure.
- Residence Life reserves the right to limit the number of parties on any night.
- All house parties end by 1 a.m. At this time all entertainment must stop. All Small Private Events/Apartment Parties must end by 11 p.m. on Sundays-Thursdays and by 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.
- No student organization or house may hold a social event after 10 p.m. on the day of the last class of each semester.
- Failure to comply with social system guidelines, college policies, and /or state or federal law will result in a suspension in event registration privileges by the Office of Residence Life professional staff, and may also result in a referral to the College Conduct Board. Federal, state and local prosecution may also be possible.
House Event Registration Deadlines
For detailed information about registration deadlines, please review the House Events Approval Process Document
Organizations and Houses reserve space for events by completing the Event Registration Form in the Smith Social Network at least 2 weeks prior to the event. Space and technical needs or additional equipment can be requested through this form.
The general guidelines for events are as follows:
- Organization events are held in a public location (Davis Ballroom, Campus Center) or in their own specified organizational space (Unity House, Mwangi Center). Organizations cannot plan events in the houses.
- All events in houses must end at 1 a.m. and in other locations by 2 a.m. All entertainment must stop at this time.
- Alcohol service at events must stop a half hour before the event ends.
- No student organization or house community may hold a social event after 10 p.m. on the day of the last class of the semester.
- Failure to comply with social system guidelines, college policies and/or state or federal law will result in the suspension of event registration privileges by the Office of Student Engagement and/or the Office of Residence Life and may also result in a referral to the College Conduct Board. Federal state and local prosecution may also be possible.
- The Operations Coordinator in the Office of Student Engagement has the responsibility of reserving space for the above activities.
Updated July 2023