Founded in 1871, Smith College opened in 1875 with 14 students. Today, Smith is among the largest women’s colleges in the United States. An independent, nondenominational, nonprofit college, Smith remains strongly committed to the education of women at the undergraduate level, but admits both men and women as graduate students.
Smith College does not have a single office or administrator that responds to all consumer information questions. If you have questions about a particular federal disclosure requirement or other specific consumer information, please visit the subject link below. The administrator title and contact information will be included on the linked page or pages. Administrators are available to answer questions, upon reasonable notice, during the normal working hours of the college.
Academics & Admissions
- Academic programs
- Study abroad
- Accreditation, approval and licensure of institution and programs
- Transfer student policies, transfer credit and collaborative agreements
- Course catalog (includes textbook information) and textbook assistance
- Graduation and enrollment rates
- Job and graduate school placement rates for Smith graduates
- Retention rates
- Teacher preparation program report
- Daily fire and crime log
- Fire safety policies
- Fire statistics for on-campus housing: included in the Clery Report
- Missing persons report: included in the Clery Report
- Missing Student Policy: included in the Clery Report
- Campus security policies: included in the Clery Report
- Campus crime statistics: included in the Clery Report
- Emergency notification and procedures: included in the Clery Report
Smith College employs freelance and staff photographers to take photos and video of students, classes, activities and the campus for promotional, marketing and archival purposes. Members of the Smith community acknowledge that they may appear in photography and videos taken for these purposes. The college reserves the right to use, publish, display and reproduce these photos and video in various college materials, including the Smith College website, brochures, social media and other outlets. For more information on this policy, contact the Office of College Relations, 413-585-2180.