Skip to main content

Health & Wellness

Exterior of the Schacht Center with a sunset behind it.

The Schacht Center for Health and Wellness provides accessible, professional medical and mental health care, and wellness education to Smith’s diverse population. As college health care professionals knowledgeable about developmental issues, we work with students in promoting their physical and psychological well-being. We collaborate with the larger college community, supporting students in accomplishing their educational goals.

Hours and Contact

Call 413-585-2800 to reach us. 24/7 nurse advice and mental health support is available.  
Download the TELUS app for free 24/7 mental health support. 

Medical Services

Counseling Services

Wellness Services

9 a.m.–noon; 1–4:30 p.m.

9 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.







More medical information

More counseling information

More wellness information


Summer Recess Closure

The Schacht Center will be closed on Friday, May 17 at 4 p.m. for Summer Recess and will reopen on Monday, August 19 at 9 a.m. These resources are available to you during this time.

If you are experiencing an emergency and you are on campus, please call Campus Safety 413-585-5555.  All off-campus emergency calls should be directed to 911 for your local emergency service. 

If you are on campus and need transportation to Northampton’s urgent care centers or the ER, you can call Campus Safety, who will provide transportation when they have availability.

For urgent mental health concerns, call 413-585-2800 and press 2 to speak with a licensed therapist.

If you are having an issue with getting a refill of medication prescribed by a provider at the Schacht Center, please email and a staff member will get back to you. Please allow at least four business days for a response.

Looking for reproductive health care? We offer a number of different services, and can refer you to one of our off-campus partners for procedures and more.

Wellness in Practice

See what our community health organizers (CHOs) in training with the Schacht Center have been up to lately (hint: they’re helping their peers!).

Campus Life

Sex in the Dark

To illuminate a tricky subject, wellness interns turn off the lights.

  • Campus Life
  • April 12, 2024
Sex in the Dark education event with lights off and a screen with yellow letters how do people start their first relationship

Your Care, Anywhere

The Schacht Center for Health and Wellness uses a password-protected online patient portal to communicate with students about test results and follow up needs. We do not use email. You may use the portal to ask us general questions or for medication refills. The portal should never be used to ask us urgent questions or problems. If you have a current medical problem, call us.

Log In Learn About the Patient Portal
Close-up of a flowering tree on campus with people walking in the background.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Schacht Center?
The Schacht Center for Health and Wellness is located at 21 Belmont Avenue, adjacent to Scott Gym.

How do I make an appointment?
You must call for an appointment; there are no walk-in hours. Same-day and next-day appointments are available. Crisis appointments are available.

Will you respect my privacy?
Yes. All services are confidential. The only exception is in an unusually dangerous or life-threatening emergency.

Do I have to pay?
Office visits at the Schacht Center are free of charge regardless of insurance. Some services, such as lab tests and vaccines, may incur charges. The Smith College Insurance Plan covers most services. Students with private insurance should call their insurance provider regarding any questions about coverage. We do not, and can not, bill private insurance. Instead, we bill the student’s account, and provide a claim form for the student to complete and submit to their insurance.

Do you provide HIV and STI testing, education and information?
Yes. Confidential testing is available at Medical Services during regular clinic hours by appointment.

Can I get emergency contraception or latex items at Medical Services?
You can get emergency contraception from Health Services for $25 with a nurse appointment or as a precaution. All latex (condoms, dams, etc.) is ordered by the Health Reps and distributed to the houses.

What if I’m too sick to walk to the Schacht Center?
If you are too sick or injured to walk to the Schacht Center you can call the nurse’s station at 413-585-2813 and they can coordinate transport for you via Access Van or Campus Safety.

Will you respect my identity?
Yes. At the Schacht Center, we honor all cultures, gender identities, preferred names and pronouns. Please notify the Schacht Center of any information that is important for us to know in order to provide you the best care possible.

What if I need something when the Schacht Center is closed?
FIRST, call the after-hours nurse at 413-585-2800 (Option 1) or counselor at 413-585-2800 (Option 2) for assistance. Contact your insurance company regarding coverage. If needed, urgent care without an appointment is available at Cooley Dickinson Hospital and CVS Minute Clinic.

Please note that appointment scheduling, insurance/billing questions, record requests and prescription refills cannot be handled by the after-hours nurse and the student should call when the Schacht Center is open.

How do I make a first, non-crisis appointment in 2022–23?

  • By phone at 413-585-2800
  • By email at
  • Stop by during business hours
  • SOME appointments are available online through the Patient Portal
  • 24/7 for free off-campus telehealth on the My SSP app

Please be aware that you will need to fill out paperwork online that will be sent to you through the Patient Portal before you can be seen. Once you book an appointment the paperwork will be available to you.

How do I access crisis or urgent care?

  • Call us at 413-585-2800 or stop by during business hours.
  • During our business hours, you will be connected with a member of our staff and seen the same day or connected to emergency services.
  • Nights and weekends, our number will connect you with licensed on-call providers.
  • Call Campus Safety, who can take you to the hospital, at 413-585-5555
  • Call 911
  • Call 988 for The National Suicide and Crisis Hotline
  • Go to your nearest emergency room
  • Please see other resources on the Crisis Resources page

How do I register for a group?

Groups generally offered include the following topics: Sexual and Dating Violence, Grief, ADHD Skills, TGNC Support, BIPOC Support, Immunocompromised/Chronic Illness Support, DBT Skills, Healing from Disordered Eating and many others.

How do I register for a continuing appointment?
Therapists schedule continuing appointments as needed, so first meet with a therapist and then discuss a treatment plan with them.

Can I just schedule an appointment online?
Some same-day/single session appointments as well as group sessions can be booked online through the Patient Portal. If you are unsure what kind of appointment you should have, just call us. If you need to see someone right away or have a specific treatment request, please call us at 1-413-585-2800.

What should I expect when I come for an appointment?
The first time you come you will have a single session/same-day appointment. The therapist will then speak to you about what kinds of services might best meet your needs given our resources.

If you have insurance or financial resources and/or require specialist care, you may be referred out into the community. Your therapist and our Care Coordinator will help you with this process.

What is the diversity of the staff?
We encourage you to check out our staff page. ALL staff are dedicated and trained to work with a variety of student identities.

Are counseling appointments in person or online?
If you are working with one of our Counseling Service staff, they will be in the office at the Schacht Center. You may elect to meet in person and masked, or over Zoom.

What is My SSP?
This is an online telehealth service that provides free counseling to any Smith student, in over 150 languages, no matter your location. The providers are not a part of the Counseling Service staff. My SSP uses an app or can be reached by phone.

Other facts about Counseling Services:

  • Last year, more than 35% of students visited the Counseling Service
  • More than half of any senior class has visited the Counseling Service
  • The racial distribution of students who visit the Counseling Service is slightly larger than the broad student population.
  • There is no charge for any service, except some lab services. Prescriptions filled at pharmacies may have a co-pay.
  • We are generally open 8:30 a.m.–4:30p.m. daily, but some ongoing individual and group sessions are available in the evening. My SSP sessions are available 24/7.

Can I email you my forms?
No. We do not accept emailed records. Email is not a secure method of health care correspondence. Don’t forget to keep copies for yourself.

Where do I send my forms and records?
Forms can be uploaded to the Patient Portal or mailed to:

Smith College
Schacht Center for Health and Wellness
21 Belmont Avenue Northampton, MA 01063

Can I just send vaccine records from my last school or my last doctor’s appointment to you?
Yes. However, do not assume you have received all required vaccines as requirements may change and vary from state to state. Massachusetts immunization requirements are very strict. Carefully review your records against the requirements to be certain you submit complete documentation.

I can’t get every required vaccine in my home country. What should I do?
Don’t worry. You can get all required vaccines at local pharmacies, such as CVS or Walgreens, in Massachusetts, or you can schedule an appointment at Health Services for most vaccines.

Can I waive vaccines? I did not receive standard childhood immunizations. What should I do?
We strongly recommend that all students receive immunizations as required for school entrance by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. These requirements exist to protect the health of every individual student, our campus community, and protect the public health of our global population. Massachusetts allows exemption from vaccines for only two reasons: medical or religious exemption. Massachusetts does NOT recognize philosophical exemptions to vaccines. Students with valid exemptions must complete a Smith College vaccine exemption waiver by deadline date and prior to registration and orientation. Contact the Schacht Center for questions at

Students with further questions about vaccines, or medical or religious vaccine exemptions, are encouraged to review the information below and from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and contact the Schacht Center with questions.

I can’t find my immunization records. What should I do?
Call your most recent school or doctor’s office and ask if they have your immunizations on file. Check with your state, city or town to see if they have an immunization registry. Send copies to us. Keep a copy for yourself!

I can’t get Tuberculosis Blood Tests (IGRA Tspot or Quantiferon Gold) in my home country. What should I do?
If you arrive in Massachusetts before college orientation, please be in touch with us. We can arrange for you to have testing performed. We can also perform the test here on your first day of orientation.

Is there a place near campus I can get vaccines, or otherwise complete my forms?
Yes. Northampton has several walk in clinics conveniently located near campus:

  • CVS Minute Clinic, 366 King Street, Northampton, 413-586-8315
  • Cooley Dickinson Urgent Care Clinic, 30 Locust Street, Northampton, 413-582-2330
  • OnCall Urgent Care Clinic, 6 Hatfield Street, Northampton, 413-584-7425
  • Baystate Urgent Care, 325B King Street, Northampton, 413-387-4197
  • MedExpress, 424 Russell Street, Hadley, 413-253-0483

Do I need a TB test?
Only If you answer “yes” to the screening questions. Your doctor MUST sign the form.

Confidentiality Statement

We respect your right to confidential, quality care. We believe that an interdisciplinary, coordinated approach delivers the optimal quality of care. You should know that:

  • Medical and counseling records are separate from other college departments. All Schacht Center medical and counseling records are confidential and cannot be accessed by other college departments.
  • The Schacht Center is an integrated center for physical and mental health needs and your records are accessible to Schacht Center staff within the medical and counseling services.
  • Entry of psychotropic medications prescribed by the Schacht Center is made in the medical record.
  • No medical or counseling information is shared outside of Health Services without your consent. Exceptions to this include emergencies and where it is mandated by law.
  • Information relevant to your care may be shared, on a need-to-know basis, among the professional medical and counseling staff of Health Services.
  • Student permission is required to share information with parents, guardians or other individuals except in emergencies.