Errata & Changes
Changes to the handbook sometimes happen after the handbook is posted. In such cases, except when the changes do not change the meaning of the policies involved (changing contact info, typos and other minor inconsequential changes), those changes will be chronicled here.
November 28, 2022
The former Smith College Hoverboard Policy page was amended to include similar devices with lithium-ion batteries:
Due to safety concerns following reported fires, Smith College prohibits the use, possession or storage of e-bikes, hoverboards and similar devices containing lithium-ion batteries from campus buildings. Charging a lithium-ion powered vehicle in any campus building is strictly prohibited.
Lithium-ion batteries are used in a variety of products. Please visit the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) website for additional consumer safety information on lithium-ion batteries.
September 6, 2022
The landing page was amended to include the following attestation to COVID-19 expectations:
Students are expected to follow all safety measures to lower and prevent the risk of spreading COVID-19; failure to do so could result in disciplinary action up to and including separation from the college. To that end, we expect the following: By arriving at Smith College, for residential living and to attend classes during the 2022-2023 school year, each student attests that:
- They are not experiencing COVID-19 symptoms
- They have not tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 10 days
- If they have been named a close contact in the last 10 days they will follow CDC Guidelines for travel and public engagement
- If they develop symptoms of COVID-19, they will take a self-administered antigen (rapid) and PCR test at the Schacht Center testing kiosk and email firstname.lastname@example.org if they need assistance or have questions. They will report any COVID-19 positive test to email@example.com.
- Updated the emergency number for campus safety listed in the pedestrian safety section to 413-585-5555 (number change was effective August 29, 2022).
The Office of Student Affairs is responsible for maintaining the handbook and welcomes your suggestions, in person or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.