Policies, Procedures and Guidelines
In accordance with Massachusetts General Law Chapter 269 Section 10J, weapons are prohibited on the grounds of Smith College with the exception of law enforcement officers duly authorized to carry such weapons. No person shall be permitted to possess or carry firearms or other weapons, concealed or not concealed, with or without a concealed weapon permit, while on properties owned or controlled by Smith College.
For the purposes of this policy, the term “weapons” includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Firearms of any nature or description, including shotguns, rifles, pistols, and revolvers, paintball guns, or BB/pellet guns
- Firearm replicas
- Martial arts-type weapons
- Explosives (including fireworks)
- Bows, crossbows, arrows
- Stun guns/tasers
- Switchblade knives, double-edged knives, hunting (pocket-style) knives with a blade length of three inches or greater
- Pointed metal darts
- Any other destructive device or instrument that may be used to do bodily injury or damage to property
In addition, items that may be used as weapons, whether or not they fit the definition above, will be subject to seizure.
Because these weapons may pose a clear risk to persons and property on the campus, violation of the regulations may result in administrative action from the college and/or prosecution under the appropriate state or federal laws.
Updated July 2023