During your first weeks of employment, it’s important to have all the information you need to start off on the right foot. Below are answers to some commonly asked questions. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.
A Checklist for Getting Started at Smith
Check the email account you used to apply for the position for an email asking you to sign your formal employment agreement digitally using DocuSign. You’ll receive a copy of the agreement to the email you used to apply for the position.
New Employee Paperwork
- You will receive an email from Accurate Background LLC to complete your background information. Please make sure to check your junk and spam folders. You will need to create a login with Accurate Background LLC to fill in the information required. Please do not upload any forms into the Accurate Background LLC System.
- Schedule an appointment with HR to complete your I-9. These forms must be verified in person or scanned to us with a valid notary signature. You can schedule an appointment online.
- Complete the I-9 form in Workday (see steps below to get access to Workday). Make sure you have valid, original ID documents for completing your I-9. You will not be able to enroll in your benefits until this task is complete. (See a list of valid I-9 documents.)
Workday & Smith Email Account Setup
- Check the email account you used to apply for the position. You’ll have received a temporary password to log into Workday as a pre-hire employee.
- Using your temporary password, log into Workday and complete the personal information tasks. Once you have completed your personal information in Workday, you’ll be asked to complete your full Workday and Smith email account.
- Look out for an email that confirms that your new Smith College account has been created; the email will have your username (first initial and last name) and temporary password to set up your Smith email account. You will be asked to change the password to a 14-character password with uppercase, lowercase, a number and a special character. You will be redirected to the Smith Login screen. Enter your username and new password. Follow the prompts.
- You will need to download Duo Mobile onto your cell phone. This will allow secure access to your Smith email. Keep a close eye on your Workday inbox as there will be multiple sets of tasks that need to be completed. For more information on tasks, please go to the Workday Help Site.
Updating Your Information in Workday
- Getting Started
As you start your employment with Smith you will want to ensure that all of your personal information, such as social security number, direct deposit, address, and contact information, iu up-to-date in Workday. If any of this data is incorrect or missing, it may prevent you from enrolling in benefits. If you need assistance, the Workday Help Site has job aids to walk you through the process step-by-step.
- Payroll and Tax Information in Workday
Payroll at Smith is processed on a biweekly basis for 26 pay periods a year. Payroll payments will be issued via direct deposit every other Friday. Each year the Payroll Office publishes apayroll calendar that will assist you in knowing when you will receive your pay. Direct deposit of payroll funds is required for all employees. You are able to add your direct deposit information and fill out your federal and state tax withholding forms in Workday. On pay dates, your pay is deposited to the financial institution(s) you designate.
- Smith College Employees with Disabilities
Smith College strives to promote a disability positive and inclusive climate at Smith that recognizes each person’s identity and values the diverse perspectives that contribute to a multicultural living and learning environment. To request accommodations, you must complete a Request for Reasonable Accommodation Form. Employees are welcome to use the Office of Disability Services to confidentially explore their concerns and discuss accommodations.
Smith College offers a robust suite of benefit programs designed to support employees’ health and welfare, financial wellbeing, and social and emotional wellbeing whether early in their career, during mid-career or nearing retirement. If you are in a benefit-eligible position, benefits generally begin on your start date and end on your termination date.
Please visit Smith College’s Benefits page to review helpful information including:
- Benefit guides
- Rate sheet
- Overview information including summary documents outlining benefits and coverage
- Contact information for each benefit vendor
Please note: New hire enrollment data is sent to benefit vendors weekly. It takes at least two weeks to receive your member ID card(s) in the mail. If you have questions above coverage and/or your member ID card(s), please call the appropriate customer service number below.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance: 800-782-3675
- OptumRx prescription coverage: 888-374-8127
- Delta Dental: 800-872-0500
- EyeMed vision insurance: 866-939-3633
- Health Equity health savings accounts (HSA): 866-346-5800
Smith College offers a competitive retirement plan that includes a fully-funded employer contribution plus employees can make voluntary pre-tax and/or Roth contributions via payroll deduction beginning as soon as their start date. Employees may start, change, or stop their voluntary contributions at any time through Workday’s Benefits app.
For employees meeting the eligibility criteria below, Smith College contributes 9% of eligible earnings up to an integration level, and 13.3% of earnings above the integration level, to an eligible employee’s retirement account. Employees are not required to make any matching contribution to receive the employer contribution. The College’s contributions to the retirement account are fully vested beginning with the first contribution.
To be eligible for employer retirement contributions paid by Smith College, an employee must:
- Be age 21 or older (starting 1/1/2023)
- Have a year of service with Smith College
- Have 910 hours worked in their anniversary year or a subsequent calendar year
You are encouraged to designate beneficiaries for all accounts with a potential monetary benefit (e.g. life insurance, retirement accounts, health savings accounts). Beneficiaries for life insurance are designated and maintained in Workday. For the retirement plan, you may call Voya Financial at 800-584-6001 once your Voya account has been established. HealthEquity will record your beneficiary designation for your Health Savings Account (HSA).