and the college’s ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Room Draw & Lottery
Room draw is an online process in which current Smith students can select their rooms for the next academic year. Depending on a student’s assigned house, room draw takes place over two days in early April (special interest lottery the first day, all houses the second) from 5 to 10 p.m. each day. Students are assigned a start time on the day for their house, at which time their online access becomes active. In late March, students receive an email with their lottery times (and new house assignments, if they requested to change houses).
Room Draw 2020
The online room draw process for the 2020–21 academic year will begin for special interest lottery participants in late January 2020 and conclude in early February. The forms for regular room draw will be available in late February 2020 and close in early March. Room draw will take place in early April for special interest lottery participants; regular room draw participants will draw a day later. Forms can be found in Residence Life Self Service.
Remain in House & Change of House Forms
All students (unless they were accepted into special interest housing, are an Ada Comsock Scholar, or have a housing accommodation and did not select the "join room draw" option on the Housing Accommodation Form) are required to fill out either the Remain in House or the Change of House form. These forms are available from late February to early March.
Guides, Instructions, Cheat Sheets
- CHECK THIS LIST OF AVAILABLE 2020 ROOMS to see all rooms that are available for selection during Room Draw.
- Will you get a single? Check out our 2020 SINGLES CHEAT SHEET. This is an estimate based on everyone in the house choosing a single first.
- Comprehensive FAQ about the online lottery process to help answer your questions. You must be logged in to your smith.edu email account to access the document.
- In late March, we host walk-in hours in the Clark Hall conference room to answer any of your questions. Come ask us a question about room draw or read questions other students have asked.
- Instructions on how to participate in the main housing lottery (with screenshots). During the lottery process, you will be able to view a list of remaining rooms in Residence Life Self-Service.
- Instructions on how to select a roommate (with screenshots)
- Instructions on how to select roommates for the Friedman Apartments (with screenshots)
In addition to offering traditional houses, Smith has a variety of special-interest housing options, including food co-ops and apartments. Most are available only to sophomores, juniors and seniors; students from all classes may apply for a substance-free community in Chase House.