Room Draw & Lottery
Room draw is an online process in which current Smith students can select their rooms for the next academic year. Room draw takes place over one evening in early-mid April from 5 to 10 p.m. Students are assigned a start time on room draw day, at which time their online access becomes active. In late March, students receive an email with their room draw lottery time (and new house assignment, if they requested to change houses).
Room Draw 2023
The online room draw process for the 2023–24 academic year will take place from February 2-May 4, beginning with special interest lottery participants on February 2. Applications for all special interest lotteries will be available on February 2 and close on February 10. The forms for regular room draw will be available on February 24 and close on March 10. Room draw will take place on April 12 for both special interest lottery and regular room draw participants. Forms can be found in Residence Life Self Service.
Room Draw House Request Form
All students (unless they were accepted into special interest housing, are an Ada Comstock Scholar, or have a housing accommodation and did not select the "join room draw" option on the Housing Accommodation Form) are required to fill out the Room Draw House Request Form. This form is available from late February to early March.
Guides, Instructions, Cheat Sheets
- CHECK THIS LIST OF 2023 AVAILABLE ROOMS to see all rooms that are available for selection during Room Draw. (Updated 3/28/2023)
- Will you get a single? Check out our 2023 SINGLES CHEAT SHEET. This is an estimate based on everyone in the house choosing a single first. (Updated 3/28/2023)
- Comprehensive FAQ about the online lottery process to help answer your questions. You must be logged in to your smith.edu email account to access the document.
- In late March/early April, we will host walk-in hours in the Clark Hall conference room to answer any of your questions. Come ask us a question about room draw or read questions other students have asked.
- Instructions on how to participate in the main housing lottery (with screenshots). During the lottery process, you will be able to view a list of remaining rooms in Residence Life Self-Service.
- Instructions on how to select a roommate (with screenshots)
- Instructions on how to select roommates for the Friedman Apartments (with screenshots)
In addition to offering traditional houses, Smith has a variety of special-interest housing options, including food co-ops and apartments. Most are available only to sophomores, juniors and seniors; students from all classes may apply for a substance-free community in Chase House.