b'and young girl with a blunt haircut (recognizable as Harriet Soeko Takahashi) are crowded into a shallow, stall-like space with three animals. The bodies of animals and humans blend into each other, and the stoic expressions of the woman and girl are at odds with those of the animals, who display their terror with bulging eyes and grimacing mouths. The girl wears a tag similar to those worn by each family member in transit with the name SOEKO inscribed on it. The tag form also appears in the boards of the stall door. The Takahashi family remained in Camp Harmony for three months before leaving for Minidoka Relocation Camp in August, right before Howards eighth birthday. Minidoka, a hastily built facility located in South Central Idaho, near the town of Hunt, consisted of thirty-six groups of twelve tar-paper barracks and communal facilities surrounded by guard towers and barbed wire (fig. 7). Considered the eighth largest city in Idaho, the facility housed more than nine thousand individuals between 1942 and 1945. 8Not all members of the Takahashi and Makuuchi families were incarcerated at Minidoka. Only Howard, his sister Harriet, their grandmothers (Kikue Otamaro FIGUREBarracks at Camp Harmony, Puyallup, Washington, 1942 Takahashi and Mina Tamaru Makuuchi), and their aunt Chiyoko (Dorothea) family members and receive an assigned number and tags for each person as well as their baggage. They were then to assemble at a specified time and place for relocation. 5Residents of Seattle were first sent to the fairgrounds at Puyallup, Washington (also called Camp Harmony), as a temporary holding facility (fig. 4). The Takahashi family entered Camp Harmony on May 1, 1942. While the precise details of this thirty-mile trip are not known, it is likely that they, like most Seattle Nikkei (people of Japanese ancestry), were transported by buses. Between April 30 and May 1, almost two thousand people arrived at the facility, to be followed within the next two weeks by some five thousand more. 6 Not only was the movement of large groups of people (and their belongings) chaotic, but the facilities were sparse and crowded (fig. 5). Masao Wantanabe, who was also at Camp Harmony, remembers the experience as a real traumatic type of living, where youre in the former stalls where the pigs and the cows and everything else were. Temporary shacks, just the walls were so many feet off the ground, and families of six and seven were crowded into one little spot. 7Makuuchis print Fairgrounds Called Camp Harmony, executed in the late 1980s,FIGUREJapanese evacuees at the Puyallup Assembly Center, known as Camp Harmony; captures the sense of claustrophobia experienced by the Takahashi family atfather assembling a potbelly stove in the barracks room while family members sit on metal cot, the Puyallup Assembly Center (fig. 6). A woman in profile, with a tear in her eye,ca. AprilMay 1942. Photograph by Howard Clifford. UW526.14 15'