Student Health Insurance Plan
Smith College requires that all students in a degree program, enrolled in at least 25 percent of full-time credits, carry health insurance. The Student Health Insurance Plan is a comprehensive policy offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. The policy provides inpatient and outpatient hospital services, mental health, diagnostic testing and lab services and other specialty benefits.
The plan offers comprehensive benefits that include hospital room and board, inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures, labs and x-rays, chemotherapy and radiation, inpatient and outpatient mental health services, physician office visits, consultant visits, ambulance, emergency care and prescriptions.
Go to www.gallagherkoster.com/smith for complete details about coverage, limitations and exclusions.
- All care is confidential.
- There is no office visit charge to be seen at the medical or counseling service for any Smith student.
- Immunizations (including yellow fever, typhoid and rabies vaccines) and supplies are covered. There are charges for emergency contraception, air casts, and crutches.
- Deductible fees apply to any lab test, xray, CT scan, MRI or other tests that are ordered.
- Co-pay fees apply to prescriptions
- Most brands of generic contraceptives are covered without cost or co-pay under the Affordable Care Act.
- Prescription medications are covered wiithin the plan limits with a three-tier structure for co-pays ($15/$30/$50).
- You may make certain types of routine (non-urgent) appointments by either calling 413-585-2250 or self-scheduling at our student portal. (Note: do not use the student portal for urgent or time-sensitive requests. Call us for prompt assistance.)
- If you are ill and want to speak to a nurse, call 413-585-2813 weekdays or 413-585-1260 after hours and weekends.
- The plan is effective from August 14 to August 15 of every year. There is no option to continue coverage after graduation.
Physicians should bill the claims administrator. The billing information is on the back of your health insurance ID card. However, if you do receive a bill or you paid for a service and need to be reimbursed, you should contact:
500 Victory Road
Quincy, MA 02171