Student Medical Insurance
Smith College requires that all students in a degree program, enrolled in at least 25 percent of full-time credits, carry health insurance. The Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan is a comprehensive policy offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. The policy provides inpatient and outpatient hospital services, mental health, diagnostic testing and lab services and other specialty benefits.
The plan offers comprehensive benefits that include hospital room and board, inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures, labs and x-rays, chemotherapy and radiation, inpatient and outpatient mental health services, physician office visits, consultant visits, ambulance, emergency care and prescriptions.
Go to www.gallagherkoster.com/smith for complete details about coverage, limitations and exclusions.
- There is no office visit charge to be seen at the medical or counseling service for any Smith student.
- For students with the College Insurance Plan (which includes all international students), there is no cost for anything at the medical or counseling service with the exception of certain travel immunizations (including yellow fever, typhoid and rabies vaccines), air casts and crutches.
- Prescription medications are covered wiithin the plan limits with a three-tier structure for co-pays ($15/$30/$50).
- All care is confidential.
- You may make appointments by either calling 413-585-2250 or self-scheduling at our student portal.
- If you are ill and want to speak to a nurse, call 413-585-2813 weekdays or 413-585-1260 after hours and weekends.
- You are covered under the student health insurance plan through the end of the policy year (including after you graduate). There is no option to continue coverage after this policy terminates.
Students who decide they want to actively enroll in the plan may do so by completing the following steps:
- Visit www.gallagherkoster.com/smith.
- Click on "Student Waive/Enroll Forms."
- Log in using your student email address as your username, and student ID number as your password.
- Select "I want to Waive/Enroll." Immediately upon submitting your online form you will receive a confirmation number. Please save this number and print a copy of your confirmation for your records.
Students may enroll their eligible dependents online for an additional premium by visiting www.gallagherkoster.com/smith, selecting "Dependent Enrollment" and completing the form.
Dependents must be enrolled by the deadline which is 30 days from the effective date of the policy, or within 31 days of a qualifying event (e.g. marriage, loss of coverage through an employer).
All students who do not submit an online decision form will be automatically enrolled in the student insurance plan. However, it is recommended for all students to complete and online decision form whether they are enrolling or waiving the plan.
Please note: Students who do not actively enroll in the health insurance plan but passively enroll in the plan by failing to complete the decision form may experience a delay in their receipt of services.
Go to www.gallagherkoster.com/smith, select "Authorize Account," located to the left of your screen under Account Information and entered your Student ID number along with your date of birth. Once your account has been authorized, select "Account Home" and click on "Generate ID Card."