Student Health Insurance Plan
Smith College requires that all students in a degree program, enrolled in at least 25 percent of full-time credits, carry health insurance. The Student Health Insurance Plan is a comprehensive policy offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. The policy provides inpatient and outpatient hospital services, mental health, diagnostic testing and lab services and other specialty benefits.
- Students enrolled at Smith College in a degree program and taking at least 4 credits are eligible for coverage by the Student Health Insurance Plan*
- For information about eligible dependents, please refer to Gallagher Student Health
*Ada Comstock Scholars who are regular employees of the college are not eligible.
The plan offers comprehensive benefits that include hospital room and board, inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures, labs and x-rays, chemotherapy and radiation, inpatient and outpatient mental health services, physician office visits, consultant visits, ambulance, emergency care and prescriptions.
Go to www.gallagherstudent.com/smith for complete details about coverage, limitations and exclusions.
- All care is confidential. (An exception is made in the case of life-threatening or other health and safety emergencies.)
- There is no office visit charge to be seen at the medical or counseling service for any Smith student.
- Immunizations are covered by the Student Health Insurance Plan.
- There are charges for emergency contraception, air casts, and crutches. Student accounts will be billed for these items unless students pay at the time of care. Payment can be made in cash or check.
- Deductible fees apply to any lab test, xray, CT scan, MRI or other tests that are ordered. The 2019–20 annual deductible is $150 for Laboratory and Radiology services. A $300 out of network fee may apply for services performed outside of our local area in Northampton.
- Co-pay fees apply to prescriptions.
- Most brands of generic contraceptives are covered without cost or co-pay under the Affordable Care Act.
- Prescription medications are covered wiithin the plan limits with a four-tier structure for co-pays ($15/$30/$50$100).
- Co-pays apply to off-campus medical appointments.
- You may make certain types of routine (non-urgent) appointments by either calling 413-585-2250 or self-scheduling at our student portal. (Note: do not use the student portal for urgent or time-sensitive requests. Call us for prompt assistance.)
- If you are ill and want to speak to a nurse, call 413-585-2813 weekdays or 413-585-1260 after hours and weekends.
- The plan is effective from August 15 to August 14 of every year. There is no option to continue coverage after graduation.
- You can download a verification letter and get other helpful information at www.gallagherstudent.com/smith.
All students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan.
All students are required to complete the online decision form on the Gallagher Student Health website. Further information about the insurance plan, waivers, and related deadline will be posted on or about July 1 by the Student Financial Services office.
Off-campus providers should bill the claims administrator directly. The billing information is on the back of your health insurance ID card. However, if you do receive a bill or you paid for a service and need to be reimbursed, you should send a claim form requesting reimbursement to:
Gallagher Student Health
500 Victory Road
Quincy, MA 02171
What If I Don’t Have Smith Insurance?
- You can still be seen on campus at the Schacht Center for Health and Wellness.
- Medical, mental health and wellness appointments are available free of charge to all students.
- Check with your plan regarding in-network local coverage. Many insurance plans only cover services and providers within a particular geographic area.
- Students are responsible for any charges incurred not covered by their plan.
- Most care at the Schacht Center is free of charge. There are charges for vaccines, labs and supplies, which may not be covered by private insurance.*
- If you seek care off-campus for specialty or urgent care, you may need a referral from your primary care provider.
- The Schacht Center does not, and cannot, direct-bill insurance companies. We bill your student account and provide a claim form with instructions for you to subit a claim for reimbursement to your insurance.
- All students must pre-register with Cooley Dickinson Hospital so that medical insurance can be billed. Otherwise, you will be billed directly and held financially responsible. Call 413-582-2800 to pre-register.
* Vaccines, for example, are very costly. (The average cost for common travel vaccines is $1,000.) We strongly encourage you to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan, and/or consult with your insurance plan before receiving vaccines at the Schacht Center or in the Northampton area.