Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a newly diagnosed respiratory illness. The college has been closely monitoring guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Department of State and the actions of governments worldwide to shape the college's response to the spread of the disease.
Digital Support Resources for Spring 2020
- Campus Status: All Smith College buildings are closed to the public.
- Courses: Alternate modes of instruction will be offered for the curriculum beginning on March 30.
- Commencement & Reunions: These events have been canceled.
- Spring Recess: Spring recess will be extended by one week through Sunday, March 29.
- Travel: No Smith-funded travel will be permitted until further notice.
- College Events: All in-person meetings or events not deemed critical for continued operations are canceled or moved to remote delivery methods.
All college buildings—including academic buildings and residential houses—are now closed to the public.
|Schacht Center||Closed for walk-in care; scheduled appointments only||Medical: Call 413-585-2250 between 10 a.m.–4 p.m. to schedule an urgent appointment, call 413-585-1260 for after-hours care.
Counseling: Call 413-585-2840
|Campus Center||Smith ID Required for access||Open Mondays
Hours of Operation: 9 a.m.–4 p.m. (3/30, 4/6, 4/13, 4/20, 4/27)
Campus Center Café - Closed
Mailroom - Student letters and packages can be picked up from lockers.
Printing - limited printing for students available (via followme-bw or followme-color) in the Office of Student Engagement (CC 106).
- Created Incident Response Team
President McCartney activated the COVID-19 incident response team (CIRT), a senior leadership group that is guiding the college’s continued response to the new coronavirus disease.
- Discontinued All Smith-Funded Travel
Canceled all Smith-funded international travel until May 1.
- Established New Restrictions for Study Abroad Programs
Canceled study-abroad programs in any country with a CDC alert-level 3 status and stopped approving applications for fall 2020 study-abroad programs in countries on that list until further notice.
- Worked With Local Community to Provide Support
In partnership with Cooley Dickinson Hospital, Smith is donating currently vacant on-campus housing to support the hospital's needs during the COVID-19 pandemic. The college is also donating supplies to the City of Northampton—including 250 cots and 80 meals a day—to expand sheltering capacity for the local homeless population.
- Announced Alternate Modes of Instruction
Discontinued on-campus classes and moved to alternate modes of course instruction as announced on March 10, 2020. Extended Spring Recess to allow time for the faculty to work with ITS on ways to transition to remote courses.
- Announced Event Restrictions
All on-campus events have been postponed, canceled or moved online.
- Implemented Remote Work Scenarios for Faculty and Staff
Moved to an environment in which only limited, critical operations will continue on campus. All other operations will be done remotely.
- Canceled Commencement and Reunions
Announced the cancellation of Commencement and Reunions in 2020.