31 Days. $3.1 Million.
Support our December Giving Challenge and help us raise $3.1 million in 31 days for scholarship aid. All donations, no matter their size, will go directly toward keeping a Smith education accessible and affordable.
Smith College attracts the best and brightest students from around the world. For the past decade, Smith’s Fulbright success rate has been the highest in the nation among top-producing liberal arts colleges. And with an acceptance rate of 31 percent, the class of 2022 was the college’s most competitive class ever.
The candidates who apply to Smith are change agents who have the power to lead governments, businesses and nonprofits—and to solve our world’s most pressing problems. But first, we must provide them with the education, the confidence and the leadership training they need to develop their passion and their expertise. To do that, we need your help.
Smith’s commitment to financial aid in 2017, up from $42 million in 2007
Number of Smith admissions applications received for the class of 2022, a new record
Smith students receiving financial aid in 2017–18
Average need-based grant for the Class of 2021
Students receiving federal Pell grants, making Smith a national leader in creating access for low-income and first-generation students
For students today, one of the biggest barriers to pursuing higher education is the cost.
Ensuring access to education is Smith’s top priority, and the college remains committed to meeting the demonstrated need of all admitted students. This is an expensive endeavor, however, as the college tries to control costs while developing programs for the students of today.
Smith expended $42 million in financial aid in 2007, while in 2017 this number jumped to more than $69 million. More than 65% of students received financial aid in FY’18, with the average need-based grant portion of each aid package at $45,790. By expanding our endowment for financial aid, we can provide sustainable funding that will support students from all backgrounds in perpetuity.
New funds for financial aid:
- extend the promise of a Smith education to talented women regardless of financial means;
- attract an accomplished and diverse group of students;
- increase the percentage of the college’s financial aid budget that is endowed;
- expand Smith’s global reach, answering the call for women’s leadership worldwide; and
- make further investments possible in the faculty, programs and the physical campus.
Giving opportunities to name a scholarship fund include:
- Full Endowed Scholarship Fund: $1 million or more to generate approximately the income required to cover the cost of tuition for a student receiving full financial aid. Donors may specify certain broad preferences for recipients such as majors, Ada Comstock Scholars, international students or other key demographics.
- Partial Endowed Scholarship Fund: $250,000 or more to generate income toward financial aid grants. Donors may specify certain broad preferences as described above.
- Unrestricted Endowed Scholarship Fund: $150,000 or more to support students with demonstrated financial need as determined by the college.
In addition, named current use scholarship funds may be established in support of general financial aid, Ada Comstock Scholars or international students. Eligible gifts to The Smith Fund include:
- $1,875 for alumnae in the 10 most recent classes
- $5,000 for alumnae not yet in the milestone 25th reunion cycle
- $10,000 for alumnae in 25th cycle classes
- $25,000 for alumnae who have passed their 25th reunion
All gifts to Smith’s financial aid program are an investment in exceptional women who hold the promise to transform our world.
Betsy Carpenter ’93
Director of Development
Many employers sponsor matching gift programs and will match charitable contributions made by their employees. To find out if your company has a matching gift policy, please enter your employer's name below or check with your human resources department. Some large employers provide very generous matches.
If your company matches, you may be able to access the forms directly through the search. Follow the procedure described below; if needed, our staff will be happy to assist. The impact of your gift may be doubled or possibly tripled! Some companies match gifts made by retirees and/or spouses.