Skip Navigation
A Culture of Care

Read Smith’s plans for the spring 2021 semester.
Current Operating Mode: BLUE

Medical Forms

Medical Services Entrance Form

The Medical Services entrance form is required for all first-year and transfer undergraduate and graduate students and is due June 15.

Students who study abroad or otherwise take time off from their on campus studies are required to update the demographic and tuberculosis screening portion of health forms upon return to campus.

Due to COVID-19, we recognize that it may be difficult to complete and submit all requirements by deadline. All students must at minimum complete the tuberculosis screening questions and submit immunization records to the extent possible. Students must remain in communication with us at The Schacht Center regarding plans to complete any missing items. We will extend and adjust deadlines accordingly.

Upload completed forms via the secure patient portal or send to:

Smith College Medical Services
21 Belmont Avenue
Northampton, MA 01063
Fax: 413-585-4639

We do not accept emailed forms.

In order to protect the health and safety of each student and our community, failure to provide required documents will result in a hold being placed on your account. Please contact us with any concerns you may have about completing the forms at

Students having difficulty scheduling appointments or obtaining vaccines with their health care providers may find that their local health department, walk-in clinic, urgent care center or pharmacy can provide required tuberculosis screenings, vaccines and/or physicals.

School for Social Work Students

Students submitting any portion of their required health information online must also submit physician verified information via mail or fax by deadline. 

Students having difficulty scheduling appointments or obtaining vaccines with their health care providers may find that their local health department, walk-in clinic, urgent care center or pharmacy can provide required tuberculosis screenings, vaccines and/or physicals.

Medical Records Release Form

The release form is required to allow the transfer of medical information from Smith College Health Services to a secondary provider, such as your primary care provider at home or a referred provider.

Requests are fulfilled in the order in which they are received and may take up to two weeks to complete.

Submit Your Health Information via The Patient Portal

Submitting your required health information cannot be performed until after you have received your Smith-assigned email account information.

  • Undergraduate Students, Visiting and Transfer Students, and Ada Comstock Scholars
    • Fall admission deadline is June 15. Spring admission deadline is January 11. All new entering students must submit all information by the deadline.
  • Undergraduate Athletes
    • If you are playing an NCAA team sport you must also submit the NCAA Pre-Participation Physical Exam (page 6 of your Health Form Packet) signed by your medical provider by deadline. This form is not required for intramural or club sports. This form must be used. We cannot accept any other form.​​​​​
  • School for Social Work Students
    • Must submit immunization and tuberculosis information by the deadline. No other information is required. School for Social Work deadlines are determined by their program.
  • Graduate Students
    • Must submit immunization and tuberculosis information by the established deadline. Health history and physical exam should be submitted prior to seeking care at the Schacht Center.

    Once you have received your Smith network username and password, log in and use the portal on the Patient Portal page.

Frequently Asked Questions

If these FAQs don’t help you find the answers you need, please call us at 413-585-2250, or email us at

Can I email you my forms?
No. We do not accept emailed records. Email is not a secure method of health care correspondence. Don’t forget to keep copies for yourself.

Where do I send my forms and records?
Send forms via fax or U.S. Mail to:

Smith College
Schacht Center for Health and Wellness
21 Belmont Avenue
Northampton, MA  01063
Fax: 413-585-4639

Can I just send vaccine records from my last school or my last doctor’s appointment to you?
Yes. However, do not assume you have received all required vaccines as requirements may change and vary from state to state. Massachusetts immunization requirements are very strict. Carefully review your records against the requirements to be certain you submit complete documentation.

I can’t get every required vaccine in my home country. What should I do?
Don’t worry. You can get all required vaccines at local pharmacies, such as CVS or Walgreens, in Massachusetts.

Can I waive vaccines? I did not receive standard childhood immunizations. What should I do?
We strongly recommend that all students receive immunizations as required for school entrance by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. These requirements exist to protect the health of every individual student, our campus community, and protect the public health of our global population. Massachusetts allows exemption from vaccines for only two reasons: medical or religious exemption. Massachusetts does NOT recognize philosophical exemptions to vaccines. Students with valid exemptions must complete a Smith College vaccine exemption waiver by deadline date and prior to registration and orientation. Contact Kerry-Beth Garvey at the Schacht Center for questions and waiver instructions at 413-585-2250 or

Students with further questions about vaccines, or medical or religious vaccine exemptions, are encouraged to review the information below and from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and contact the Schacht Center with questions.

I can’t get an appointment for a physical in time to meet the deadline. What should I do?
Don’t worry. We will work with you. Most cities and towns in the US have walk-in urgent care clinics, and large pharmacies, such as CVS and Walgreens, have on-site clinics that offer physical exams, tuberculosis screening and vaccine administration. Please send us your immunizations and the parts you can complete and ask your regular healthcare provider to send us the rest. Keep copies for yourself!

I can’t find my immunization records. What should I do?
Call your most recent school or doctor’s office and ask if they have your immunizations on file. Check with your state, city or town to see if they have an immunization registry. Send copies to us. Keep a copy for yourself!

I can’t get Tuberculosis Blood Tests (IGRA Tspot or Quantiferon Gold) in my home country. What should I do?
If you arrive in Massachusetts before college orientation, please be in touch with us. We can arrange for you to have testing performed. We can also perform the test here on your first day of orientation.

My doctor’s office doesn’t provide Meningitis B vaccine. What should I do?
Don’t worry. Most large retail pharmacies such as CVS or Walgreens provide vaccines. Sometimes the pharmacist may need to order the vaccine. This vaccine locator tool can be useful in finding vaccines near you. We suggest you contact the pharmacy with any questions.

My insurance company doesn’t cover Meningitis B vaccine. What should I do?
Please contact your insurance company and ask for an appeal. Explain that there has been a recent outbreak in western Massachusetts at Smith College and the University of Massachusetts. Please refer to the welcome letter in your health form packet, call us, or refer to our website for more information.

I won’t finish the entire series of HepatitisB, MMR, MeningitisB, or Varicella vaccines in time for the start of school. What should I do?
Don’t worry. As long as we have proof that you started the series, we will consider your file temporarily complete and adjust your hold date. For example, if you received a vaccine in June and are due in November for your next dose, we will move your hold date to November. We will remove holds when all aspects of your health forms are complete.

Is there a place near campus I can get vaccines, or otherwise complete my forms ?
Yes. Northampton has several walk in clinics conveniently located near campus:

  • CVS Minute Clinic, 366 King Street, Northampton, 413-586-8315
  • Cooley Dickinson Urgent Care Clinic, 30 Locust Street, Northampton, 413-582-2330
  • ONCall Urgent Care Clinic, 6 Hatfield Street, Northampton, 413-584-7425

Do I need a TB test?
Only If you answer “yes” to the screening questions. Your doctor MUST sign the form.