Read Smith’s plans for the spring 2021 semester.
Current Operating Mode: BLUE
Schacht Center for Health and Wellness
21 Belmont Avenue
Northampton, MA 01063
9 a.m.–noon, 1–4:30 p.m.,
The college years are a time of accelerated growth, significant challenges and considerable stress. Counseling Services is here to help you with the variety of concerns that arise during these intense years. We provide students with an opportunity to explore concerns and problems with a professional psychotherapist in a confidential setting. Our mental health counselors and psychiatrists provide ongoing private and group counseling to support mental health needs and medication management as appropriate.
Important COVID-19 Information
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a virus that causes respiratory illness. Symptoms include fever, cough, congestion, runny nose, stuffy nose, difficulty breathing, severe weakness and pneumonia. For updates on Smith’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak, please visit the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) page.
Free Mental Health Services
Undergraduate and graduate students can schedule an initial appointment with a therapist or psychiatrist by calling or emailing our office. Counseling Services will offer resources to assist you in meeting your social, emotional and academic goals.
Students come for counseling to address:
- adjustment to college
- trauma (relational, systemic, or identity based)
- low self-esteem
- stress related to the pandemic
- eating concerns
- abuse or abuse history
- major mental illness
- family problems
- interpersonal conflicts
- stress related to political matters
- grief and loss
- concerns related to identity (race, gender, sexuality, class, ability)
- navigating family and cultural expectations
- use of alcohol or drugs
- challenges navigating intimate relationships
- anything else
News & Announcements
Spring 2021 Group Offerings
We are open for virtual individual and group appointments. Current groups are listed below and students are also invited to suggest other group topics. For more information or to register, call 413-585-2840 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ADHD Support/Homework Club
- Chronic Illness/Immunocompromised Support Group
- Creative Coping through Creative Writing
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- First-Year Student Support
- Grief Support
- In This Together: Daily Open Check-In Group
- Monthly Anti-Oppressive Workshops for Students of Color
- Survivors of Sexual and Dating Violence
- Trans, GNC, NB and Questioning Support