Read Smith’s plans for the fall 2021 semester.
Current Operating Mode: GREEN
Emergencies & Crisis Response
The Campus Safety Department coordinates responses to all emergency situations including fire, accident/illness, crime, hazardous spills/gas leaks and bomb threats. See the College Governance website for emergency information.
Reporting a Crisis or Emergency
In case of emergency, dial 800 from a campus phone or call 413-585-2490 to contact Campus Safety.
Any emergency should be promptly reported to the campus safety department. Alert campus safety about the nature and location of the emergency and follow the instructions provided. Should a campus emergency exist, the campus safety department will activate the Emergency Response Team. The college has a comprehensive emergency response plan, which is activated any time a college emergency occurs that warrants oversight by the Emergency Response Team.
Reporting Disruptive Activity
There are specific actions someone might be making that could be an indicator that the person needs assistance, they are about to commit a crime, or they are harassing students.
The dispatch center is staffed 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year.
Emergency Phones/Call Boxes
Smith College has a number of emergency telephones strategically placed on campus to provide emergency access to campus safety. Each emergency phone is a metal box with a luminescent blue light on top that is clearly visible day and night. It is important to note that these phones ensure an immediate response in the event of a dangerous situation but are NOT to be used in non-emergency situations. You may also use them to report incidents, to ask for an escort or to report harrassing behavior.
Simply push the red button on any blue light phone. The phone will signal campus safety automatically and direct someone to you.
View the emergency phone locations on the campus map.
Emergency Phone/ Call Box Locations
- 10 Prospect Street (Near main door of Cutter House)
- 150 Elm Street (in front of 150 Elm St.)
- Ainsworth Gym (on building)
- Ainsworth Gym (solar)
- Albright House (Near satellite gym entrance)
- Alumnae Gym
- Athletic Fields (by track)
- Athletic Fields (by pond)
- Baldwin (in between Alrbright & Baldwin)
- Boiler Plant
- Campus Center (Haven side)
- Capen Lot
- Chapel Lot
- Chapin Drive
- Chase House
- Chiller Plant
- Conway Lot
- Crew House
- Crew House/Boat House (solar)
- Cushing House (Mandelle Road side)
- Cutter Drive
- Davis Center/ Mwangi
- Davis Drive
- Dawes House (on back side of this house / Conway Lot side)
- Dewey House
- Dickinson Lot
- Dryads Green/Wilder (access road)
- Emerson Arch (Paradise Road side)
- Ford Hall (Belmont Avenue side)
- Ford Hall (Green Street side)
- Gill Campus School (Nearest State Street entrance)
- Gill Playground
- Gillett/ Northrop House (connecting porches)
- Grounds Garages (by fields)
- Hillyer Hall
- Hopkins Lot
- ITT Lot
- King House (King/ Scales mini quad area)
- Lamont Bridge (College Lane side)
- Lamont Bridge (field side)
- Lyman Plant House
- Mandelle Lot
- McConnell Hall (College Lane side)
- McConnell Hall (Tyler side)
- Morgan Hall (off Prospect St.)
- Paradise Road (at the crosswalk near
- President’s Drive & Paradise Road)
- Park House (facing the Admissions Office)
- Parking Garage on West Street (1 at the entrance, 1 on the lower level & 2 on each of the 4 levels)
- Parsons House (facing the Friedman Complex)
- Sage Hall
- Scott Gym Lot
- Seelye Hall
- Sessions Annex