Officers and Dispatchers/Security
Melissa Roberts-Cote, Clery Compliance/Lead Dispatcher
Campus Safety Staff Training 2020
In the interests of transparency, this section provides information on trainings our staff have attended and completed. The Campus Safety Department will continue to constantly train and learn as we strive to serve the community with the utmost integrity, respect, and care. Please return to this section often as it will be updated with new announcements of training that Campus Safety Staff have participated in.
The Clery Act Compliance Training Academy was attended by several members of Campus Safety Command Staff to better comply with our federal reporting requirements for campus safety.
Over the month of August, all Campus Safety Staff participated in Anti-Bias training for Campus Safety presented by Amy Hunter and Toby Davis of the Office of Equity and Inclusion.
- All Campus Safety Command Staff participated in First Line Supervision Training instructed by Director of Campus Safety Debra C. Duncan.
- A Campus Safety Officer attended Basic Crime Scene Investigations training instructed by Andy Kehm.
- All Campus Safety Staff were trained in crisis recognition and response. The training, Integrating Communications, Assessment, and Tactics (ICAT) is a use-of-force training model designed to aid officers in how to respond to and effectively manage volatile situations. It was instructed by Massachusetts State Police Lieutenant Michael Sonia.
Campus Safety Staff Training 2021
- Members of the Command Staff attended Sexual Misconduct Investigation training
- Members of the department attended Clery Act training
- A command staff member attended Crowd Incident Management for Police Commanders
- All sworn staff were recertified in Defensive Tactics training
Campus Safety Advisory Group
The purpose of the Campus Safety Advisory Group (CSAG) is to help strengthen connections between the Campus Safety department and Smith College students, staff and faculty; to solicit and provide community feedback; and to help advance the community-focused mission of the department. To further this purpose, the group will regularly consult and engage with the department, and meet at least once a semester.
- James Gray, Associate Vice President for Facilities and Operations (co-chair)
- Julianne Ohotnicky, Associate Dean of the College/Dean of Students (co-chair)
- Jeremy Kenneson, Interim Director of Campus Safety
- Kris Evans, Associate Director of Counseling Services
- Raven Folks-Witten, Program and Outreach Coordinator, Office for Equity and Inclusion
- Hannah Karpman, Assistant Professor, School for Social Work
- Jen Malkowski, Associate Professor, Film and Media Studies
- Ann Mayo, Manager of Security and Guest Services, Museum of Fine Art
- Sheher-Bano Ahmed ’24
- Mary Virginia Huffaker ’25