King House is one of the 10 houses of "the quad," which form a semicircle and enclose a small courtyard. This area is also the site of the "diploma circle" where graduates distribute their diplomas during Commencement.
King, and its sister, Scales House, were constructed in 1935 and 1936. The complex was built in stages starting in 1922 to alleviate a housing shortage on campus. When all houses were completed in 1936, William Allan Neilson, then the president of Smith, pronounced it the "Great Quadrangle."
King House is named for Franklin King, who for 50 years served as the superintendent of the Buildings and Grounds department at Smith. King was appointed in 1886 by then president L. Clark Seelye and retired in 1936. He was well liked by all members of the community.
The first floor has a large, spacious living room, with a piano and fireplace, and a study room that provides an alternative place to work.
About King House
|Approximate number sharing a bathroom||25|
Secure content; Smith login required.
Updated floor plans now available in Residence Life Self-Service under "Room Draw"