Cushing House is one of the 10 houses of "the quad." The short path from the quad to the center of campus passes the president's house and offers a beautiful view of Paradise Pond.
The complex was built in stages starting in 1922, to alleviate a housing shortage on campus. When all the houses were completed in 1936, William Allan Neilson, then president of Smith, pronounced it the "Great Quadrangle."
Since academic buildings are a 10-minute walk and downtown Northampton is 15 minutes away, many students enjoy having a bicycle. Cushing is also easily accessible to the fare-free Five College bus service, aiding students who take advantage of courses in the Five College interchange system. The buses are also an easy way to get around the rest of the Pioneer Valley.
About Cushing House
|Approximate number sharing a bathroom||23|
Secure content; Smith login required.
Updated floor plans now available in Residence Life Self-Service under "Room Draw"