Originally built in 1827, Chase House was occupied by several prominent local families until established as a school for girls by Mary A. Burnham in the 1870s. The Burnham School was incorporated into the college as a campus house in 1968 and named for Mary Ellen Chase, an accomplished writer and professor of English literature at Smith.
Chase maintains a cheerful and relaxed house environment, and late night chats in the living room are a popular social activity. The house hosts tea every week and several study breaks as well, along with two larger annual events: winter and spring weekend.
Rooms 214–23 on the second floor and all of the third floor of Chase House are substance free. Alcohol, tobacco and illegal drugs are not allowed.
The application to live on the substance-free floor is available on your Self Service page. Upon assignment to substance-free housing, each resident must complete the online housing contract, also located on the Forms & Applications page (both forms, the application and the contract, are listed under "Room Draw Forms"). Information about the lottery is available on the Special-Interest Housing Lottery page.
About Chase House
|Approximate number sharing a bathroom||27|
Secure content; Smith login required.