Looking for a winter jacket, sheets, toiletries or other essentials? Need funds to travel home? Have an unexpected medical cost? At Smith, we strive to provide dignified access to resources for students who find themselves in need. The Common Goods Resource Center offers centralized material and funding resources, and a consolidated list of offices and organizations that students can turn to for support.
I’m Looking for... Material Resources
I’m Looking for... Financial Assistance
Academic & Emergency Assistance
The Smith Social Network is your first stop to check for available funds, described in detail when you log in. To apply for funds, there are two applications. The Academic Funding Application lets you apply once for funds from various offices. Funds can be for textbook assistance, graduation clothing, travel, research projects, art supplies and more. The Emergency Funding Application lets you apply once for funds from multiple offices. The offices work together to review applications and meet your needs as quickly as possible. You can also check out the resources mentioned below in “Additional Support Services.”
To apply, log in to the Smith Social Network and click on the “Forms” tab at the top. Your information is confidential.
I’m Looking for...Additional Support
Learn more about other resources on and off campus to help when you have material or financial needs.
Primary Points of Contact for Funds
Please remember to first check the Smith Social Network, which offers one place to access the majority of available funds. A few resources not listed on the Smith Social Network can be found on the following two sites:
The Dean of the College
The Dean of the College offers descriptions of all available funds, including ones for Ada Comstock Scholars and specific funds by office that are not included on the two applications on the Smith Social Network. Review the tabs on the Financial Assistance by Office webpage.
The Smith Students’ Aid Society
The Smith Students’ Aid Society offers various grants to students in need. Most of these grants can be applied for through the Smith Social Network, but a few funds require a different application: Interterm & Spring Break Opportunities, Summer Study and Beyond Smith.
Can’t find what you need at the Common Goods store? There are a few other resources to check.
- Dress and business attire can be accessed at the Lazarus Center through their Suit Yourself Program.
- For gender-affirming clothing, contact the Resource Center for Sexuality and Gender at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gently used coats are also available through the Office of Multicultural Affairs. Contact L’Tanya Richmond at email@example.com. Gently used winter apparel is also available from the Office for International Students and Scholars. Contact Caitlin Szymkowicz at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- The Center for Religious & Spiritual Life can provide material and financial resources on a case-by-case basis. Please reach out to Maureen Raucher, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
- For more information about what donated gently used athletic equipment and practice clothing are available, please reach out to Kelsey Hunter at email@example.com
This listing is not intended to be all-inclusive, and it does not imply an endorsement by Smith College.
Community Action Pioneer Valley
Provides information about resources in the area, with staff available to help you find ways to meet specific basic needs.
Northampton Survival Center
Operates two food banks and has a list of further community resources on their website.