The mission of student affairs is to engage the whole student in a process of self-discovery to thrive in a complex and diverse global society. Our office helps students access a variety of services, programs and activities. We work closely with the dean of the college and dean of students, first-year student programs, medical, counseling and wellness services, residence life, student engagement, equity and inclusion, multicultural affairs, religious and spiritual life and other partners throughout campus.
Important Interterm and Spring 2022 Arrival Information
Students were sent the following information regarding interterm and spring 2022 arrival in an email from the dean of students on December 8, 2021. Included is pertinent information for arrival and check-in for the spring semester. Additional action items for students are expected the week of December 13. There will also be a webinar to answer questions students might have, to be held on December 14, 2021 at noon. The webinar requires registration.
Interterm and Spring 2022 Arrival Expectations
- All students must register their arrival day. Information regarding the registration of arrival days will be forwarded in the coming week.
- Students must test upon arrival and twice weekly.
- All students must have a minimum of one negative test result from the on-campus testing program administered the week prior to going to their first interterm or spring 2022 class. Please return to campus at least two days before your first class in order to receive a PCR test result prior to the start of classes. Directions for testing for January 3 classes will be communicated directly with enrolled students.
- Booster shots will be required for all eligible students by January 21, 2022 or within 30 days of eligibility.
- All students should plan to return to the college by January 22, 2022 before 9 p.m. in order to receive a PCR test prior to the start of classes on January 24, 2022 (PCR and rapid tests not performed by Smith College will not be accepted).
- At this time we do not expect students to have to quarantine upon arrival, but as we know, COVID-19, with its variants, is shifting our protocols regularly. We will keep you abreast of further guidance and expectations as it becomes available.
We imagine you have many questions and further details regarding arrival will be available shortly, including how to register your arrival day, what to do if you have already purchased a ticket, booster shots and more. Approximately 2,400 students will be arriving between January 2 and January 23, 2022. Some students will have an assigned arrival day (e.g. athletes, new students) and others will not (e.g. students returning from fall residence who already have a room key). Information about arrival registration will be available in the coming week. Again, we will host a webinar on December 14, 2021 at noon EST.
Our goal is to ensure the safest possible return to the campus. We ask that you take all the appropriate safety precautions you are able to as you prepare for your return and travel to campus. It is our hope that we will meet the needs of you and your families, and we thank you all for your patience and cooperation.
- Campus Map
- New students have been assigned an arrival day. Information regarding arrival and new student orientation will be sent in a separate email.
- Returning students who were in residence in the fall 2021 semester and have their room key may arrive between January 2 and 22, 2022. Details regarding registering your arrival day will be available in the coming week.
- Returning students who were not in residence in the fall 2021 semester and need to pick up a key will receive arrival information in a separate email.
- Students approved to stay during Winter Break will not register an arrival day (you are already here!) and will test once weekly during winter break and resume twice weekly testing on January 2, 2022. Details will be sent in a separate email to those approved students.
COVID-19 PCR Screening
- All students are expected to receive a COVID-19 PCR test at the Smith College testing center on their arrival day.
- If you arrive outside of testing hours, you must test during the first available Testing Center appointment
- Testing Center hours: Monday–Friday, 7 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Extra Testing Center hours:
January 2, 2022, 1 p.m.–9 p.m.
January 22, 2022, 1 p.m.–9 p.m.
There is no on-campus testing on January 23, 2022
- Returning students must upload a copy of their updated vaccination card, reporting the date on which they received their booster shot, to the Schacht Center’s confidential patient portal by Friday, January 21, 2022 (or 30 days after becoming eligible for a booster if eligibility is after December 21, 2021). Uploading instructions can be found on the Schacht Center’s website.
- New students must upload a copy of their health records, COVID-19 vaccination card, reporting the date on which they received their COVID-19 vaccine and booster shot, to the Schacht Center’s confidential patient portal prior to their arrival. Booster vaccines must be included unless you are not yet eligible, in which case you must receive your booster within 30 days after becoming eligible. Uploading instructions can be found on the Schacht Center’s website.
Vaccinations are required in order to receive a key; students without access to vaccines must contact Schacht Center at least 2 weeks prior to arrival to make arrangements.
- Masks will be required by everyone involved for the check-in and move-in process
- Masks are required indoors except when alone in a bedroom (or with a roommate), in an enclosed work-space or when actively eating.
- Up to 2 guests may assist with a student’s move-in.
- Guests must be masked at all times indoors, no dining is available and guests may not stay overnight
Mail Services package pick-up
- Students’ letters and packages will be loaded into lockers at Mail Services in the Campus Center. For items that cannot be loaded into lockers, Mail Services will contact students directly to coordinate a pickup time.
- Students should go to Mail Services for packages after they receive a notification indicating that their package has been loaded into a mail locker. This may be after your arrival day.