Read Smith’s UPDATED plans as of August 5, 2020,
for an entirely remote fall 2020 semester.
College Hall 101
Northampton, MA 01063
Our mission at the class deans office is to help you make the most of your time at Smith. The class dean is responsible for your overall academic program. You are encouraged to see your dean privately throughout the year regarding any issue, whether academic or personal. Your class dean is available to assist with course registration and procedures, academic options and general advice on such matters as study abroad, summer school and leaves of absence. We work closely with the registrar’s office to ensure that you are meeting your degree requirements.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with your class dean, please email email@example.com. In the subject line please indicate your name and class year. We will respond to emails in the order they are received. We appreciate your patience as we have switched to a remote business model.
Important COVID-19 Information
To petition the Administrative Board please use the Petition Form .
- Petitions received by noon on Fridays will be reviewed by the Administrative Board, in most cases, the following Tuesday. Petitions that are not complete, for example: missing instructor and/or adviser/s approvals, will not be reviewed until approvals are received. If Monday is a holiday, petitions received by Thursdays at noon will be reviewed by the Administrative Board the following Tuesday.
Wednesday, November 4, 2020, is the last day (for a full semester course) to use the free drop option. For other important registration deadlines please go to the Registrar’s webpage.
Note: You can request to use your free drop via email without a form. You only need the approval of your Liberal Arts or major adviser (if you have 2 majors then from both advisers) and the approval of your class dean. Instructor permission is not required.
Here is what you need to do:
1. Send an email to your adviser/s and copy the class deans office on the email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Include your name, class year, and the words "Free Drop" in the subject line
3. In the body of the email, state your 99# and the course you would like to drop (for example MTH 100, Algebra) and the name the instructor
4. Indicate the total # of credits you're currently enrolled in and how many credits you'll be enrolled in if you're approved to free drop this course
5. Ask your adviser/s to "reply all" back to the email with their approval so that we get a copy of their response (it's up to you to followup with your adviser/s)
Once we receive a response from your adviser/s we will then forward it to your class dean for review and if approved, will forward it to the registrar’s office for processing.
Planning on taking a summer or interterm course? Please see the registrar’s website for information on transfer credit.
Reminder of Academic Support Services Available to Students
Jacobson Center for Writing
You can schedule appointments with a writing counselor, a peer tutor and a learning specialist by going to the News & Announcements section of their website. For questions, please email the director, Julio Alves, at email@example.com.
Spinelli Center for Quantitative Skills
You can schedule appointments with a q-tutor and other quantitative learning counselors. For questions, please email the director, Cat McCune, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of Disability Services
ODS is especially helpful to students who may be struggling with organization or challenges in the new learning environment. For questions, please email them at email@example.com.
Your health and wellbeing remain important to us. Smith purchased a license that will allow you to enjoy a free subscription to Calm, a relaxation and meditation app. Simply go to www.calm.com/signup to create an account using your name and your Smith College email address.
Last, but not least, please remember that you are still bound by the Honor Code. Please make sure you talk to your instructors to confirm what resources you are allowed to use in the new online environment.
List of Fall 2020 Counseling Groups
For more information, registration and zoom links, call Counseling Services at 413-585-2840 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- ADHD Support / Homework Club
- Asian Student Support
- Back Home Blues
- Black Student Support
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Grief Support
- Low Income Support
- Overcoming Social Isolation
- Survivors of Sexual and Dating Violence
- SOC Support
- Student Impacted by Immigration
- Trans, GNC, NB and Questioning Support