Our mission at the class deans office is to help you make the most of your time at Smith. The class dean is responsible for your overall academic program. You are encouraged to see your dean privately throughout the year regarding any issue, whether academic or personal. Your class dean is available to assist with course registration and procedures, academic options and general advice on such matters as study abroad, summer school and leaves of absence. We work closely with the registrar’s office to ensure that you are meeting your degree requirements.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with your class dean, please call the office at 413-585-4915.
There will be no meeting of the Administrative Board on Tuesday, October 12, 2021 due to fall break. Completed petitions received will be reviewed the following Tuesday, October 19, 2021.
To petition the Administrative Board please use the Petition Form.
- Petitions received during the academic year by noon on Fridays will be reviewed by the Administrative Board, in most cases, the following Tuesday. Petitions that are not complete, for example, missing instructor and/or adviser/s approvals, will not be reviewed until approvals are received. If Monday is a holiday, you need to submit your petition the previous Thursday by noon otherwise it will not be reviewed by the Administrative Board until a week from the following Tuesday. Please note: the Administrative Board does not meet during the summer.
Friday, November 5, 2021, is the last day to Free Drop a full semester course. For other important registration deadlines please go to the Registrar’s webpage.
Note: You can request to use your free drop via email without a form. You only need the approval of your major adviser (if you have 2 majors then from both advisers) and the approval of your class dean. Instructor permission is not required.
Here is what you need to do:
1. Send an email to your adviser/s and copy the class deans office on the email (email@example.com)
2. Include your name, class year, and the words "Free Drop" in the subject line
3. In the body of the email, state the course you would like to drop (for example MTH 100, Algebra) and the name the instructor
4. Indicate the total # of credits you're currently enrolled in and how many credits you'll be enrolled in if you're approved to free drop this course
5. Ask your adviser/s to "reply all" back to the email with their approval so that we get a copy of their response (its up to you to follow up with your adviser/s)
Once we receive a response from your adviser/s we will then forward it to your class dean for review and if approved, will forward it to the registrar’s office for processing.
Planning on taking a summer or interterm course? Please see the registrar’s website for information on transfer credit.
Meet the Class Deans
Welcome new first-years, transfers, visiting students & Ada Comstock Scholars! The New Students website is designed to help new entering students navigate life at Smith and find important information and links to a variety of resources on campus.