The Holy month of Ramadan is observed by Muslims from May 6–June 4, 2019. The first day of fasting begins Monday, May 6 and ends on Tuesday, June 4. Halal food will be available during Ramadan in Cutter/Ziskind dining room from May 6–May 9 then in Chase House, Room C from May 10–May 25, 2019 from 5:30–7 p.m.
Halal food will also be available for lunch on Commencement Sunday, May 19, 2019. Meals in Chase House will be served on disposable dishes. On May 27, Smith dining halls will be closed to transition to summer programming. All students are expected to provide their own meals on May 26 and May 27. From May 28–June 4, meals will be served in Cutter/Ziskind. All students are expected to provide their own meals on June 1 and June 2. Meals in Cutter/Ziskind will be served on disposable containers and will be served from 5:30–7 p.m.
Dining Services has created a PDF to provide information about Halal food at Smith:
Please note: Ramadan meals will be provided only to those who register in advance. It is not possible to increase food orders once Ramadan begins. Please be mindful of meals you reserve. Meals that are made but unclaimed cause unnecessary food waste and expense. If you are unable to pick up a meal you reserve, please contact Rick Rubin at email@example.com or at ext. 2318.
Registration for meals must be made by Friday, April 26 using the form below.
Please note other important details:
- When making lunch reservations during graduation weekend (May 18–19), you should request box lunches with Halal food and Cutter/Ziskind as your dining hall location.
- Any meals that you take with you from the dining hall with the intent to eat later to break your fast should be refrigerated immediately. If you need further assistance please contact Rick Rubin or Kim Alston. Any food left at room temperature for more than two hours should be disposed of for your safety.
- This year, observant Muslim students on campus from Tuesday, May 28–Thursday, June 4 can opt out of the meal plan and prepare their own meals during the month of Ramadan. If you choose this option, you must register with Residential Life to avoid being charged by Monday, May 20. For students observing the fast during the month of Ramadan, breakfast and dinner meals will be available for pick up nightly between 5:30–7 p.m.
- Students who are not participating in Ramadan have access to Halal food during normal dining hours at Cutter/Ziskind dining room (May 6–May 9), Chase House, Room C (May 10–May 25) and Cutter/Ziskind (May 28–June 4). After June 4, Halal meat will be available at Cutter/Ziskind or Tyler for dinner depending on Smith summer housing Monday–Friday and for breakfast/lunch at the Café Monday–Friday.
- Two prayer spaces are available on campus for Muslim prayers. They are the Blue Room (Room B5) in the lower level of the Helen Hills Hills Chapel and Wright Hall Prayer Space in the lower level of Wright Hall. For access to the prayer space contact Kim Alston.
We will continue to work to improve our communication with students around dietary needs. If you have any questions or concerns regarding Ramadan, please contact Rick Rubin, Dining Manager (ext. 2318), Pat Mahar, Dining Manager (ext. 2322) or Kim Alston, Muslim student adviser, Center for Religions and Spiritual Life (ext. 2753).