This year, the holy month of Ramadan is observed by Muslims from Saturday, April 2, to Monday, May 2.
Students observing Ramadan who eat meals through Dining Services must pick up their meals in the dining room. Meals must be picked up before dining rooms close at 7 p.m. During Ramadan, students can choose from a variety of meal options at the following dining rooms:
Cutter Dining Room serves as a one stop shop for picking up meals for Ramadan. All meats served in Cutter/Ziskind are halal. Students can pick up their dinner in the same manner as they have throughout the spring semester. Food for Suhur (pre-dawn meal) will only be available in the Cutter (side) glassed-in dining room on a first-come, first-served basis. You will need to remember to pick up Suhur foods—including yogurt, cut-up fruit, pre-made sandwiches, milk, cereal, granola bars, dates, bagels—when you pick up your dinner order. Please don’t forget to bring your own bag to pack your meals. Ask dining staff or the chef on duty for assistance if you have any questions about meals for Ramadan.
Comstock Dining Room also serves halal chicken. Remember to leave enough time to pick up Suhur meals from Cutter (side) Dining Room before 7 p.m.
Lamont Dining Room serves vegetarian options every day as well as halal chicken and beef. If you are vegetarian or want a different selection, Lamont is a good alternative for dinner. Remember to leave enough time to pick up Suhur meals from Cutter (side) Dining Room before closing time.
Please note that Suhur meal supplies are based on the number of students who completed the Ramadan survey. If you have any questions regarding Ramadan meals, please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or at ext. 2322
Muslim Student Adviser, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life
email@example.com or at ext. 2753
Halal dining is offered to students at Smith College. The meal contains halal meat only and is served in specific dining rooms. Other meal components may not be considered halal. This fact sheet is designed to make halal dining practices transparent to Smith students to improve their ability to navigate dining offerings and make informed decisions around meals. Dining Services is continually working to improve its processes and welcomes your feedback.
- All meats during the academic year served in Cutter/Ziskind and Lamont including beef, chicken, lamb, deli selections, and breakfast meat are halal. All chicken tenders are halal at Cutter/Ziskind but not at other dining rooms.
- The Cutter/Ziskind kitchen is not certified halal by any third party.
- Pork is never served in Cutter/Ziskind or Lamont during the academic year.
- While the meat served in Cutter/Ziskind is halal, there may be other products served in the dining room that are not considered halal e.g. vinegars, marshmallow, desserts.
- Chicken (except for chicken tenders) served in our dining rooms across campus is halal. Only Cutter/Ziskind offers halal chicken tenders. All other chicken tenders served in other dining rooms are not halal.
Please note: Except for Cutter/Ziskind and Lamont all of our facilities serve some meals cooked with pork and alcohol. Meat served in Cutter/Ziskind is halal. If there is ever any meat served in Cutter/Ziskind that is not halal, Dining Services will label it clearly and serve it separately. Thank you for your understanding!
- Ramadan meals along with halal meat including breakfast food will be prepared and served from Cutter/Ziskind throughout the month of Ramadan (April 2 – May 2, 2022).
- Food for Suhur (predawn meals) are available for pick up during standard dinner hours in the glassed room off Cutter dining room.
- Students can request to opt out of the meal plan during the month of Ramadan to satisfy their own meal requirements. Please email Andy Cox, Director of Dining Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At this time, plans for summer meals have not been determined.
For More Information
Pat Mahar, Dining Manager at email@example.com 413-585-2322
Kim Alston, Muslim Student Adviser at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-585-2753