In a transparent, forward-thinking campus safety environment, the direction of the department must be visible. To further that end, the department provides this page to illustrate the initiatives being undertaken to strengthen both safety and trust on campus.
Current and Planned Initiatives
- Training officers and dispatchers to positively engage with the community thereby building trust with our students and other campus stakeholders.
- Initiating State Accreditation Standards in order to have the department fully accredited.
- Establishing a Clery Compliance Officer to rebuild our annual security report to better reflect the needs of Smith.
- Implementing diverse training for all personnel to include not only annual mandated law enforcement training, but continuous training in anti-bias, de-escalation, mental health and other pertinent and contemporary issues. Review the list of trainings attended on the Staff & Advisory Group page.
- Partnering with Northampton Police Department for professional development.
- Formalized a memorandum of understanding (MOU) for services and support in emergency situations.
- Formalized a MOU with the Hampshire County Sheriff’s Department so that our officers are sworn in as special deputies with concurrent jurisdiction in Hampshire County.
- Offering programs including, RAD/self-defense training, bicycle registration, engraving and fingerprinting.
- Providing other services to include motor vehicle jumpstarts, vehicle lockouts, safety transports/escorts and room lockouts.
- Hosting regular open houses to foster community engagement.
- Post-pandemic, partnering with Residence Life to schedule officers to have meals with students.
- Post-pandemic, officers can attend house meetings and meet regularly with student organizations such as SGA, House Presidents, etc.