Skip Navigation
A Culture of Care

Read Smith’s UPDATED plans as of August 5, 2020,
for an entirely remote fall 2020 semester.

Coverage Off-Campus, Traveling or Abroad

The Student Health Insurance Plan covers you during semester breaks, summer vacation and even if you're traveling or studying abroad. You'll be covered for the period for which you paid premium.

In addition to being covered for medical treatment and services, you will also be covered for Repatriation of Remains, Emergency Medical Expense Benefit and Travel Assistance Services through Scholastic Emergency Services (SES), the 24-hour worldwide assistance service.

All services must be arranged for in advance and provided by On Call International. Any services not arranged by SES will not be considered for payment.

Off-Campus Care

  • Prescription medication co-pays are $15/$30/$50/$100 depending on the medication and whether generic or brand name. That is, you bring your prescription to the pharmacy and you will be required to pay at least $15 for it.
  • There is no co-pay for most generic contraception; with a prescription, most birth control is free.
  • There is a $10 copay to see an in-network, off campus medical provider e.g. a dermatologist or other specialist or an urgent care center. 
  • There is no co-pay for seeing an off-campus therapist, counselor or psychiatrist.
  • If you go to a hospital emergency room,there is a $250 co-pay each time unless you are admitted to the hospital.
  • For blood tests, x-rays, CT scans and MRIs, the policy year deductible of $150 ($300 if out-of-network) applies. This means you are responsible for the first $150 of the cost of any labs or tests that are done.
  • While a routine eye exam is covered every 12 months, glasses are not covered.
  • You can download a verification letter and get other helpful information at

Tips for Traveling

  • When studying or traveling abroad, keep your student health insurance plan identification card with you.
  • When outside of the United States, you will likely be asked to pay for your medical care first and then will need to seek reimbursement. Covered Expenses will be reimbursed on a non-network basis.
  • When you submit claims for reimbursement, you will need to have the itemized bills translated into English and include a letter informing the claims administrator that you are seeking reimbursement for charges previously paid.
  • Please insure that your name, ID number, address (to receive your reimbursement check), and the college's name are on the bill.

Study Abroad Accident and Sickness Insurance Program

Students, faculty and staff of a United States college or university who participate in a study abroad program may purchase the Study Abroad Accident and Sickness Insurance Program. Visit for complete plan details and enrollment information.