In the fall of 2019, the Committee on Academic Priorities approved limited credit for internships. Students may apply for and receive 0.25 credits for an internship completed over the summer.
Important COVID-19 Information
We are accepting Praxis Funding and Internship Credit applications at this time. However, given the COVID-19 emergency, we will not approve credit or disperse funds until college policy concerning Smith-sponsored summer travel is clarified. For updates on Smith’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak, please visit the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) page.
Internship Credit Guidelines
Credit will be degree-bearing and will be noted as Pass/Fail on a student’s transcript. Credit will appear on a student’s transcript retroactively for the summer term, once all program requirements have been met, with no incursion of tuition costs.
Students are not required to use credit for summer internships. This option has been implemented to support students whose internship site requires that interns receive credit, and for students who would like to have the experience noted on their transcript.
- Current First-Years, Sophomores and Juniors.
- Students whose internship site requires that interns receive credit
- Students who want to document an internship experience officially on their Smith transcript
- Students may apply for credit no more than 3 times, capping the total amount of credit a student can receive at 0.75.
- Internships must take place over the summer
- Internships may be paid or unpaid
- Students must work for a minimum of 220 hours and at least 5.5 weeks.
- Internship must take place at an organization that is staffed by professionals who will supervise interns
- Internship must offer work assignments that are needed by the workplace and that help the student meet learning objectives
- Internship must allow significant career exploration and learning opportunities
- Internship must be supervised by a permanent, paid staff member with relevant expertise, and who meets face-to-face with the intern a minimum of once a week
- Internship must take place at the work site (students may not work remotely or from other off-site locations)
- While some clerical work may take place, it should be in combination with more substantive, professional assignments, with the balance of the time being on the latter.
- Students can choose to receive credit only, or combine credit with Praxis funding.
- Students must complete an application by the deadline (4:30 p.m. on the last day of spring semester classes).
- International students must complete the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) application.
- See the Applications & Forms page to find the appropriate application
- Approved students must complete journal entries and a Final Reflective Essay.
- The student’s internship supervisor must submit a Verification of Internship Completion.
- Credit will appear on a student’s transcript retroactively for the summer term, once all program requirements have been met,
- Credit will be degree-bearing and will be noted as Pass/Fail on a student’s transcript.
- There is no tuition cost for internship credit.
- If students register for credit and do not complete the internship, they will receive a Failing grade for the internship which will be noted on their transcript.