Skip Navigation

COVID-19 Updates, Restrictions, Cancellations - More information




Before a student can work and be paid, the following paperwork must be submitted in  Workday.

  • Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (Section 2 must be completed in person, and with appropriate identification)
  • Form W-4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
  • Form M-4 Massachusetts Employee's Withholding Exemption Certificate
  • Direct Deposit
  • An additional form is required by the IRS from students planning to work on campus during the summer, and must be submitted to Human Resources before the student can be hired or begin work. For more information, see Summer Employment.

Students should not apply for jobs until they've completed these forms. Employers must not schedule any student without first hiring the student and verifying that these documents have been completed.

Entering Students

Representatives from the payroll and disbursements office will be at Central Check-In to assist in the completion of required forms. Once the required forms have been processed students can then apply for jobs.

Direct Deposit

You must have a valid bank account and set up direct deposit in Workday for your paycheck. All students are paid electronically via direct deposit for all employment.


If applicable, you must complete the appropriate contract with your supervisor and submit it the student employment office immediately. This contract marks your official hire. You cannot work until you have submitted the contract and receive an email verifying your hire.

Social Security & Taxes

Social Security Number

International students must have a Social Security Number (SSN) in order to be paid in the United States, but first you must be offered a job.

Once you have a job, fill out the Employment Evidence Form below and have your supervisor sign it. The International Students and Scholars Office will then issue a letter to accompany it, as well as give you information about getting to the Social Security Administration office in nearby Holyoke to get your SSN.

PDF iconEmployment Evidence Form

PDF iconApplying for a Social Security Number


International students are subject to U.S. taxes. The college does not accept tax treaty benefits for students; however, students can claim those treaty benefits when filing a U.S. tax return.