Read Smith’s plans for the fall 2021 semester.
Current Operating Mode: GREEN
Smith College Dining Services is committed to supporting sustainability with a focus on three key areas: local and sustainable foods; waste reduction through composting and recycling; and responsible use of resources through purchasing and operations.
- To provide foods that nourish us, our community and our environment.
- To support local farms and the local economy.
- To reduce the amount of energy and carbon emissions associated with the transportation of food.
- To increase transparency in purchases and think critically about our buying power as a food service institution.
- To support a more conscious food culture at Smith College and cultivate a deeper respect for farmers and the production structure of our foods.
- To purchase 20 percent real food by 2020 according to the Real Food Challenge Criteria (and we met our goal in 2017!).
- We choose to buy local whenever it is seasonally available and financially feasible.
- We actively reduce waste and divert it through composting and recycling.
- We have trayless dining.
- We actively engage with our consumers in the Smith community.
- We are allies in educating and expanding awareness of local food use on campus.
- We provide first-year students with a reusable water bottle at Central Check-In.
- We provide all students with entry into the reusable to-go program.