Skip Navigation
A Culture of Care

Read Smith’s UPDATED plans as of November 23, 2020,
for the spring 2021 semester.

Majors, Minors & Concentrations

student with counselor


A concentration may be declared as an additional program in conjunction with any of the academic program combinations above. A concentration gives students a way to organize a combination of intellectual and practical experiences, such as internships and service learning, around an area of interest.

Declaring a Major

You must declare a major by the end of the registration period during the second semester of your sophomore year; however, you may declare earlier. If you plan to study abroad, you must declare a major before you submit your study abroad application in early February of your sophomore year. You must apply and be accepted into a concentration before you can declare it. If you are declaring a Five College Certificate, there are additional steps with the Five College Consortium, and more information can be found on the Five College website.

Junior transfer students must declare a major before registration for their second Smith semester. Ada Comstock Scholars must declare within a semester of earning 64 credits.

To declare a major, fill out the declaration form below and return it to the Office of the Registrar (College Hall 102). When declaring your first major, you need the approval of your liberal arts adviser (LAA) and your new adviser. If you are declaring a second major, minor or Five College Certificate, or a concentration, you will only need the signature of your adviser for that specific field of study. No major or minor can be in the same department or program as the first major.