There are a number of funding sources for Smith undergraduates to help cover costs associated with special programs or needs, unanticipated events or emergencies.
You should include a budget for books as part of your financial planning for college. If the books you need exceed your budget, you can apply for help. Funds are awarded as book credit that you may use at the Grécourt Bookshop in the Campus Center.
How to Apply
Smith Students’ Aid Society
The Smith Students' Aid Society has grants and emergency funding for needs that are not met by Smith College financial aid, including:
- emergency/medical expenses
- fine arts course supplies
- assistance with seniors' expenses in finding work or education through "Beyond Smith"
- interterm and spring break opportunities*
- summer study*
- *Only applications for interterm and spring break opportunities and summer study should be handed in to the Class Deans office.
Funds for Honors Thesis Projects
The Nancy Kershaw Tomlinson Memorial Fund helps students cover expenses incurred in carrying out approved honors projects.
If you are a senior or an alumna beginning your first year of graduate studies, you are eligible to apply for an Alumnae Scholarship. Awards are competitive and require a recommendation from your department. Students who receive awards are expected to pursue full-time graduate study. There are three different grants:
Clara Willoughby Davidson Memorial
Jean Fine Spahr