Smith College maintains formal exchange agreements with a select group of international higher education institutions. Through these agreements, Smith welcomes a handful of international visiting undergraduate students to campus for a semester or for a full academic year, and Smith students benefit from unique study abroad experiences at our partner institutions.
Our Exchange Partners
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- EWHA Womans University
- Doshisha Women's College of Liberal Arts
- Killam Foundation
Please note: Smith College’s International Exchange Program is separate from the college’s Interdisciplinary Studies Diploma Program.
Nomination & Application Process
Students studying at one of Smith College’s partner schools who wish to come to Smith College through an international exchange program must be nominated by the international office at their home institution.
Exchange coordinators at partner institutions may nominate students by submitting the Smith College International Exchange Nomination Form to email@example.com.
Application Process for Nominated Students
- Go to the Smith International Travel Experiences System (SITES).
- Follow the instructions under the blue heading for “International Exchange & Interdisciplinary Studies Diploma Program Applicants” to register.
- After registering and logging in, click the “Search Programs” tab. Scroll down and select “Smith College International Exchange Programs” from the list by clicking the gray “Apply For” button and choosing the term during which you wish to study at Smith College.
- Priority Deadline for fall entry is March 15, to allow enough time for application review and visa paperwork processing.
- Priority Deadline for spring entry is September 30.
What You Need To Apply
In order to submit this application, you should have the following documents ready and prepared to upload:
- Visiting Student Candidate Adviser’s/Dean’s/Registrar’s Recommendation Form
- Language Background Form
- A copy of your official transcript
- TOEFL or IELTS English Test Score Report*
- *English test score report is not required for students whose primary language of instruction at their home institution is English.
- A scan of the photo page of your passport
- 500-word (maximum) Personal Statement
- This should briefly explain your reasons for wishing to be a visiting student at Smith College and how your time at Smith will forward your educational and personal goals.
In addition to the the electronic portions of this application, you are required to submit two letters of recommendation, written in English (or with accompanying professional translation). Letters can be uploaded to the application if you have them ready, or they can be emailed after the fact to firstname.lastname@example.org.
J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
Smith College has been designated by the Department of State and USIA as a sponsor of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. The purpose of this program is to promote international education exchanges and collaboration among universities around the world.
You must complete the Certification of Finances before Smith can send a DS-2019. The DS-2019 is a document that allows you to obtain a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa and enter the United States. The Certification of Finances, and applicable instructions, will be sent to you once you have been accepted to Smith.