Before waiving you should review your current policy to be sure that it provides comparable coverage by considering the following:
- Will your current plan cover medical care beyond emergency services (e.g. doctor's office visits; diagnostic testing, labs and x-rays; and prescription drugs) in the Five College area?
- Does your plan have a high deductible that must first be met before your plan will pay for services received?
- Does your health plan have doctors and hospitals in the Five College area?
- Will your current plan cover inpatient and outpatient mental health and counseling services in the Five College area?
- If you are able to receive care, will you have to pay upfront and then seek reimbursement?
There may be other limitations with the employer-based or other health insurance plan in which you and/or your child are currently enrolled. We recommend contacting your insurance provider and use the checklist below to determine if your plan offers comparable coverage to the sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan.
International students cannot waive coverage unless they are currently insured by a plan of comparable coverage underwritten by a U.S.-based carrier.
What If I Don’t Have Smith Insurance?
- You can still be seen on campus at the Schacht Center for Health and Wellness.
- Medical, mental health and wellness appointments are available free of charge to all students.
- Check with your plan regarding in-network local coverage. Many insurance plans only cover services and providers within a particular geographic area.
- Students are responsible for any charges incurred not covered by their plan.
- Most care at the Schacht Center is free of charge. There are charges for vaccines, labs and supplies, which may not be covered by private insurance.*
- If you seek care off-campus for specialty or urgent care, you may need a referral from your primary care provider.
- The Schacht Center does not, and cannot, direct-bill insurance companies. We bill your student account and provide a claim form with instructions for you to subit a claim for reimbursement to your insurance.
- All students must pre-register with Cooley Dickinson Hospital so that medical insurance can be billed. Otherwise, you will be billed directly and held financially responsible. Call 413-582-2800 to pre-register.
* Vaccines, for example, are very costly. (The average cost for common travel vaccines is $1,000.) We strongly encourage you to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan, and/or consult with your insurance plan before receiving vaccines at the Schacht Center or in the Northampton area.