For further exploration of all things Design Thinking, check out these links, tools, and places!
Materials & Supply Sources
- Northampton Wools - Lovely yarn store downtown
- Swansons Fabrics - Cheap second hand fabric and yarn in Turner’s Falls, MA
- Old Stone Mill - Zero Waste Makerspace in Adams, MA. Great supplier for an incredible variety of second hand making materials, including fabric, sewing machines, paper, and industrial equipment.
- Valley Fabrics - local fabric and sewing store with cool quilting print fabrics.
- Make and Mend Shop - various second hand art supplies
- Foster Farrar - Downtown Hardware Store
- Looky Here - a multi-functional Art space that provides affordable and donated art supplies and music equipment
- WEBS - America’s yarn store is located in Northampton
- Guild Art Supply - art supply store in Easthampton that delivers to Smith on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Sustainable Materials Resources
- Donghia Healthy Materials Lab Library - Looking for a healthier material or building product? Begin to specify healthier, sustainable, low-carbon choices starting with these examples.
- Mindful Materials Library - Database of common materials audited for their circularity, social impact, human and climate health
- Material Order - Shared source for design material collections
- Material District - The world’s leading network in the field of innovative materials, use this platform to discover new material solutions.
- Institute of Making Materials Library - The Materials Library is a collection of some of the most wondrous materials on earth, it’s a resource, laboratory, studio, and playground for the curious and material-minded to conduct research through truly interdisciplinary inquiry and innovation.
- Cradle to Cradle - Material Health Registry - Cradle to Cradle Certified® is the global standard for products that are safe, circular and responsibly made.
- International EPD Database - The International EPD® System is a global programme for environmental declarations. Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) present transparent, verified and comparable information about the life-cycle environmental impact of products and services.
- EPA Safer Choice Products - Search products that meet the safer choice standard developed by the EPA.
- Origin - A hub of material databases from around the world.
- UT Austin Materials Lab - Extensive database of materials categorized.
- Syntropic Materials Library - Browse through different plant and animal species and the materials they can be processed into.
- Cellulose From Finland Material Library - List of materials made from cellulose.
- Bioplastics cookbook - Recipes to make your own Bio materials.
- RISD’s Nature Lab Bioplastic Guidebook - Intro to Bioplastics – recipes and examples in art/design.
Resources & Opportunities
Workshops, Conferences & Challenges
- Six Excellent Design Thinking Workshops
- Design Thinking: A Hands-on Workshop (Full Session)
- Design Thinking Workshop
- IDEO U: Design Thinking Online Courses
- d.School: Start with design
- ibm Design Thinking Courses
- edX Introduction to Design Thinking
- Students Who Design
- CRXLab Trainings + Workshops
- Inkblot Learning
- Modernity + Coloniality
- The UnSchool of Disruptive Design and Online
Publications and Media
- AIGA Eye On Design articles, op eds and featured woks bent towards Graphic Design
- Alice Rawsthorn is a design critic who writes a lot in Frieze a contemporary art and culture publication
- Dezeen is an architecture and design magazine that you can key word search
- Metropolis Magazine is also an architecture and design magazine you can key word search
- Core77 is an Industrial Design Magazine
- Fast Company focusing on innovation in tech, leadership and design
- GOOD magazine where you can click the upper right hand corner to explore by topics
- Stanford Social Innovation Review covering cross-sector solutions to global problems
- Places - public scholarship on architecture, landscape, and urbanism
- Ask Nature was founded in 2006 by Janine Benyus and Bryony Schwan to share nature’s design lessons with the people who design and make our world.
- The Biomimicry Institute provides tools to develop sustainable solutions for a balanced ecosystem by empowering people to learn and apply nature-inspired strategies in design.
- Healthy Materials Lab a design research lab at Parsons School of Design. We are dedicated to a world in which people’s health is placed at the center of all design decisions.
- The CHEMARTS Cookbook offers both simple and more advanced ideas and recipes for hands-on experiments with wood-based materials.