Read Smith’s plans for the fall 2021 semester.
Current Operating Mode: GREEN
The Purchasing Office is responsible for the College Corporate Card program, negotiating and managing collegewide contracts and procuring products and services for Smith College. Customer service and obtaining cost savings is a priority. As a servicing department, our goal is to develop and maintain an excellent working relationship with college departments. Purchasing is committed to supporting the instructional, research and educational mission of Smith College.
Toner Phoner Scam
Posing as a Smith College primary supplier, the scammer contacts an employee and asks for the model number of the copier or printer in their office. Please remember to never disclose information to a vendor calling on the telephone. Knowing the type of printer or copier can enable a scammer to send toner to that office and then charge the office. Under our contract with CBS, we do NOT pay for Xerox MFD toner or for any HP Laserjet toner for networked printers. Please alert all employees and students in your department.
- Manage and administer the Procurement Card Program.
- Conduct competitive bidding (RFQs), requests for proposals (RFPs) and negotiations.
- Negotiate contracts that aggregate the college’s buying power to obtain favorable prices and contract terms.
- Sign contracts and commit college funds as authorized agents of the college.
- Issue consulting agreements and contractor agreements.
- Ensure vendor compliance to contract performance and pricing requirements.
- Provide information on MHEC and Massachusetts contracts for many items that colleges and universities buy in common.
- Provide information about products, prices and suppliers, and research new products and suppliers.
- Monitor the marketplace and stay informed about market conditions.
- Issue Smith College purchase orders.
- Expedite timely deliveries.
- Resolve disputes with vendors.
- Coordinate vendor liability insurance.
- File credit applications with new vendors.
- Manage the recycling and disposal of surplus items.
- Manage the fleet copier program.