Smith College participates in a variety of research consortia, conducting surveys of students, faculty, alumnae and parents on a wide range of subjects. The data collected through these surveys is used to inform policy, support decision making and track progress. In addition, we regularly collect data on student learning outcomes.
Populations that are regularly surveyed include admitted applicants, incoming first-year students, currently enrolled students, graduating seniors, alumnae, faculty and parents.
- Administered each spring to all admitted students, whether or not they enroll at Smith.
- Topics covered include demographics of admitted students, importance of college characteristics, college selection process, sources of information about college and financial aid.
- Administered every other year to all entering first-year students.
- Topics covered include demographics, self-reported abilities, activities and goals/plans of first-year Smith students.
Survey of New Students (SNS)
- Administered every other year to all entering first-year students (alternates with CIRP)
- Topics covered include high-school experiences (learning style, engagement, and preparation), self-assessment, college application behavior, expectations for college, and long-term education and life goals.
- Administered in spring (opposite ESS) to a random sample of 1/3 the student population.
- Topics covered include satisfaction with student life and campus resources, harassment and discrimination and self-reported progress.
COFHE Enrolled Student Survey (ESS)
- Administered in spring (opposite Cycles) to a random sample of 1/3 the student population.
- Topics covered include student demographics, student debt, parental educational attainment, sources for advice, student activities, academic challenges and skills acquired at Smith.
Global Perspectives Inventory (GPI)
- Administered to first-year students during the summer and to seniors upon graduation as part of the senior survey.
- Topics include intercultural competence, perspective taking and cultural sensitivity.
CORE Alcohol and Drug Survey
- Administered every other year in the spring (opposite NCHA) to a random sample of 1/3 the student population.
- Topics covered include availability, use, and consequences of drugs and alcohol on campus.
National College Health Assessment (NCHA)
- Administered every other year (opposite CORE) in the spring to a random sample of 1/3 the student population
- Topics covered (similar to the CORE surveyI include drug and alcohol use, sexual activity, wellness and other health behavior issues.
Retention Study Web Survey
- Administered to all students who withdrew from Smith in the past 10 years and to a control group of all currently enrolled sophomores and juniors.
- Topics covered include reasons for leaving, likelihood of returning, education after Smith and overall satisfaction with Smith.
- Administered each spring to all graduating seniors.
- Topics covered include satisfaction with campus life, capacity building, global perspectives and plans for life after Smith.
- Administered annually (beginning in 2009) to alumnae who are 2, 5, and 10 years post-graduation.
- Topics covered include: graduate education, jobs and careers, and satisfaction with Smith education.
HERI Faculty Survey
- Administered to faculty during fall-winter.
- Topics covered include demographics, activities (how time is spent), course load, faculty goals for Smith students and satisfaction with job (including salary and benefits).
- Administered to parents of all enrolled students.
- Topics covered include parent worries, sources of information about the college, satisfaction with Smith and financial aid awards/loans.