Why Have Your Wedding at Smith?
Smith College is nestled among the rivers, mountains and fields of the Pioneer Valley. Located in Northampton, one of the top small-town arts communities in America, the college is easily accessible from major highways and cities including Hartford, Boston and Albany.
Since its opening in 1875, Smith College has been consistently rated as one of the most beautiful campuses in the Northeast. With more than 147 acres, the Smith College campus is a collection of gardens, lawns and beautiful trees within walking distance from downtown Northampton.
The Smith College Conference Center is situated steps from the college's gardens, chapel and famed Paradise Pond. Offering a unique location and design, the Conference Center provides each couple with an opportunity to create a celebration that reflects their distinctive personalities and preferences. Your guests can enjoy cocktails on the open-air deck before moving to the Paradise Room, with its wall of windows overlooking the river and playing fields. If you're planning to dance the night away, the Oak Room beautifully accommodates a dance floor, while guests can also relax in the adjoining lounge.
Our dedicated and professional staff will help you create a memorable celebration that you and your guests will cherish. Together with recommended vendors, we are confident that we will help make your day as special as you envisioned.
We encourage you to schedule a personal consultation or private tour and appointment at the Smith College Conference Center and see for yourself the beauty of our venue and its views.
“We had our ceremony at the Smith College Conference Center and were very happy with the accommodations. The room has a beautiful view of Paradise Pond, which was particularly spectacular during our fall wedding. The management was easy to work with, and everything went according to plan. It's an inexpensive venue, which is nice too! We were happy—and our guests were happy.”
We are pleased to offer the Smith College Conference Center as the location for your special celebration. Our wedding package encompasses many of the essentials you will need for a reception and simplifies your planning process.
The Smith College Conference Center overlooks beautiful Paradise Pond and is only steps away from the college's famed botanic gardens and waterfall. Your guests can enjoy cocktails on the open-air terrace before moving to the Paradise Room, with its wall of windows overlooking the pond and playing fields. If you're planning to dance the night away, the Oak Room perfectly accommodates a dance floor, while guests can also relax in the adjoining lounge.
Smith College is located in the town of Northampton which is 45 minutes from Bradley International Airport, and less than 10 minutes from Interstate 91. There are plenty of nearby accommodations, including hotels within walking distance.
$2,600 Wedding Package includes the following (rate subject to change based on final booking confirmation):
- Five-hour access the day of the event to the Smith College Conference Center including the Paradise Room, outdoor covered terrace (seasonal), two large rooms on the lower level, and two small rooms that can be used as a bridal suite
- Access to the space the day before your event for decorating (noon–5 p.m.)
- A guarantee that your event will be the only one in the Conference Center on your special day
- Access to the Smith College grounds for picture taking, including the outdoor gardens and overlooks of Paradise Pond and the waterfall
- 60" round tables that seat up to eight people each, and elegant chairs for all your guests
- All service tables for food/beverage, place cards/gifts, DJ, etc
- High top tables for use during social hour
- Access to an A/V unit including wireless microphones, a projector and screen, and a CD player/iPod jack for music
- A 12' x 16' wooden dance floor
- Use of Smith College dishware, silverware and glasses
- Ivory or white table linens and skirting
- 22 color choices of linen napkins
- An event coordinator to assist with your planning details, schedule of events, and food and beverage choices
- Event setup and breakdown
- Complimentary campus parking
Bar service and catering are not included in the wedding package. We work with a number of experienced local caterers, and we would be happy to assist you in selecting the best fit for your special day. We can also provide you with a list of local vendors, including bridal shops, photographers, DJs, florists, etc. Your bar arrangements must be made through the Conference Center. No alcohol may be brought into the Conference Center. Given the many options for catering and bar service, they are listed separately from the wedding package price.
Please call the Conference Center manager, 413-585-6977, for this season’s wedding package price and details.
Other Ceremony Venues on Campus
Smith has many lawns, gardens and outdoor options for your ceremony. Please contact the Events Management Office or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Food, Drink & Entertainment
You may choose to work either with Smith College's catering team or one of the many excellent caterers in the area. (See list of local caterers below.)
Smith offers full catering services, from small coffee breaks to lunches, dinners and receptions. Visit the Smith catering website for menus and available options, as well as policies and guidelines. To inquire about Smith catering services, contact Cathy Amarante at Dining Services or call 413-585-2300 to speak with a catering manager.
When hiring an outside caterer, ask to see their portfolio and check references. Once you determine your menu and level of services, review your contract, which should cover all details, including fees, staff, taxes, gratuities, insurance, extra charges, payment schedule and cancellation policy. We have provided a list of local caterers who have worked both with Smith and external clients on the Smith campus; however, you may select a vendor not on this list.
Please note that using an outside caterer entails a $100 kitchen use fee that is not included in the Wedding Package.
The liquor license is held by the Smith College Conference Center. All alcohol served must be purchased through the Conference Center; no outside alcohol may be brought in.
- All Host and Open Bars are priced per person and are subject to a 20 percent house charge.
- A $50 bar setup fee applies to parties of 65 guests or less, and a $100 setup fee for over 65 guests. This fee is not included in the Wedding Package.
- Service of all alcoholic beverages must be by Smith College or Smith College hired bartenders only.
- One bartender is required for every 60 guests.
- Smith College reserves the right to refuse service to anyone at any time during alcoholic beverage service.
- Bartenders are not permitted to serve shots.
- Bar service is not to exceed five hours and will close down 30 minutes prior to the end of the event.
The attached list of bridal shop, spa and entertainment vendors offers suggestions but does not imply official endorsement.
Directions & Parking
The Smith College Conference Center is located at 49 College Lane, Northampton, Massachusetts 01063. We can be found on campus near the intersection of College Lane and Green Street, overlooking Paradise Pond. From downtown Northampton, approaching Smith College from Main Street, bear left just before the college gates onto West Street. Take the first right onto Green Street and follow it down to the roundabout. The Conference Center is the long yellow building just ahead and to the right.
Parking on Campus
There are several parking lots available for guests only a short walk away from the Conference Center.
Maps and Directions
|Custom Directions||Find us using Google Maps|
|General Directions||View "Visiting Smith" web page|
|Campus Maps||Interactive and Downloadable Maps|