Why Have Your Wedding at Smith?
Smith College is nestled among the rivers, mountains and fields of the Pioneer Valley. Located in Northampton, one of the top small-town arts communities in America, the college is easily accessible from major highways and cities including Hartford, Boston and Albany.
Since its opening in 1875, Smith College has been consistently rated as one of the most beautiful campuses in the Northeast. With more than 147 acres, the Smith College campus is a collection of gardens, lawns and beautiful trees within walking distance from downtown Northampton.
The Smith College Conference Center is situated steps from the college's gardens, chapel and famed Paradise Pond. Offering a unique location and design, the Conference Center provides each couple with an opportunity to create a celebration that reflects their distinctive personalities and preferences. Your guests can enjoy cocktails on the open-air deck before moving to the Paradise Room, with its wall of windows overlooking the river and playing fields. If you're planning to dance the night away, the Oak Room beautifully accommodates a dance floor, while guests can also relax in the adjoining lounge.
Our dedicated and professional staff will help you create a memorable celebration that you and your guests will cherish. Together with recommended vendors, we are confident that we will help make your day as special as you envisioned.
We encourage you to schedule a personal consultation or private tour and appointment at the Smith College Conference Center and see for yourself the beauty of our venue and its views.
The Smith College Conference Center wedding package encompasses the venue essentials you need for your reception and helps to simplify your planning process. It can be adjusted to accommodate 115 sit down guests to up to 150 standing.
The standard wedding package consists of:
- Use of the Smith College Conference Center, including the Paradise Room, outdoor Terrace and both downstairs rooms
- 60-inch round tables (seats up to 8 people per table)
- Stylized chairs for use as dinner seating
- Use of Smith College china, silverware, linens and glasses
- Two 8-foot tables and/or four 6-foot tables for gifts, table settings, disc jockey or bar service
- Event set-up, breakdown and service charges
- Access the Smith College Conference Center A/V unit, including wireless microphones and CD Player/iPod jack for music*
- A 12-foot x 16-foot wooden dance floor on the Lower Level
- Complimentary parking on campus near the venue
*We recommended that guests and/or DJ supplement our A/V system with additional speakers for the dancing portion of the evening.
Given the many options for catering and bar service, they are listed separately from the wedding package price. Please call the Conference Center manager, 413-585-6977, for this season’s wedding package price and details.
Smith College charges an administrative and service fee of 20 percent of your final bill. Rentals not provided by Smith (linens, tables, chinaware) may be provided at an additional cost.
Other Ceremony Venues on Campus
Smith has many lawns, gardens and outdoor options for your ceremony. Please contact the Events Management Office or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Food, Drink & Entertainment
You may choose to work either with Smith College's award-winning catering team or one of the many excellent caterers in the area.
Smith offers full catering services, from small coffee breaks to lunches, dinners or receptions. Visit the Smith catering website for menus and available options, as well as policies and guidelines. To inquire about Smith catering services, contact dining services at email@example.com or 413-585-2300 to speak with a catering manager.
When hiring an outside caterer, ask to see their portfolio and check references. Once you determine your menu and level of services, review your contract, which should cover all details, including fees, staff, taxes, gratuities, insurance, extra charges, payment schedule and cancellation policy. We have provided a list of local caterers who have worked both with Smith and external clients on the Smith campus; however, you may select a vendor not on this list.
The liquor license is held by the Smith College Conference Center. All alcohol served must be purchased through the Conference Center; no outside alcohol may be brought in.
- All Host and Open Bars are priced per person and are subject to a 20 percent house charge.
- For parties with over 60 people, the standard bar set-up fee of $100 is waived
- Service of all alcoholic beverages must be by Smith College or Smith College hired bartenders only
- One bartender is required for every 60 guests
- Smith College reserves the right to refuse service to anyone at any time during alcoholic beverage service
- Bartenders are not permitted to serve shots
- Bar service is not to exceed five hours and will close down 30 minutes prior to the end of the event
The attached list of bridal shop, spa and entertainment vendors offers suggestions but does not imply official endorsement.
Directions & Parking
The Smith College Conference Center is located at 49 College Lane, Northampton, Massachusetts 01063. We can be found on campus near the intersection of College Lane and Green Street, overlooking Paradise Pond. From downtown Northampton, approaching Smith College from Main Street, bear left just before the college gates onto West Street. Take the first right onto Green Street and follow it down to the roundabout. The Conference Center is the long yellow building just ahead and to the right.
Parking on Campus
There are several parking lots available for guests only a short walk away from the Conference Center.
Maps and Directions
|Custom Directions||Find us using Google Maps|
|General Directions||View "Visiting Smith" web page|
|Campus Maps||Interactive and Downloadable Maps|