Read Smith’s plans for the fall 2021 semester.
Current Operating Mode: GREEN
Sherrerd Prizes for Distinguished Teaching
The Kathleen Compton Sherrerd ’54 and John J. F. Sherrerd Prize for Distinguished Teaching is given annually to Smith faculty members to recognize sustained and distinguished teaching by long-time faculty members as well as to encourage younger faculty members whose demonstrated enthusiasm and excellence influences students and colleagues.
Three Faculty Members to Receive 2020 Awards
Carrie Baker, professor of the study of women and gender; James Lowenthal, Mary Elizabeth Moses Professor of Astronomy; and Denise McKahn, associate professor of engineering, have been chosen for the 2020 Sherrerd Prizes for Distinguished Teaching. This year’s winners will be formally recognized at a virtual ceremony on October 15.
Do you know a Smith faculty member whose teaching has had a significant impact on students? Smith students, faculty and alumnae are invited to nominate outstanding teachers for the Sherrerd Prize for Distinguished Teaching. Please submit your nomination using the online nomination form.
About the Prize
The Kathleen Compton Sherrerd ’54 and John J.F. Sherrerd Prize for Distinguished Teaching was made possible by a grant to the college by Smith alumna Kathleen Compton Sherrerd, a 1954 graduate, and her husband, John J.F. Sherrerd.
Smith has long placed a high value on teaching and welcomes the establishment of the Sherrerd Prize as a visible symbol of its commitment and dedication to superior pedagogy. "Smith College has traditionally emphasized the importance of dynamic, diverse and interactive teaching in imparting the principles of the sciences and liberal arts to its high-achieving students," said President Carol T. Christ at the establishment of the prize. "The college considers the teaching of its students to be among its most essential objectives as a leading institution of women's education."
The Sherrerd Center for Teaching & Learning was founded in 2009 through a generous bequest from the Sherrerd family.
Requests for Nominations
Do you know a Smith faculty member whose teaching has had a significant impact on students? Smith students, faculty and alumnae are invited to nominate outstanding teachers for the Sherrerd Prize for Distinguished Teaching.
Please submit your nomination using one of the following methods:
- The online nomination form (Smith students, faculty and alumnae only)
- Send email to email@example.com
Guidelines for Sherrerd Award Nominations
The information presented in individual nominations is vital to the Sherrerd Award Committee’s selection process. Concrete examples of a teacher’s work inside and outside the classroom help guide the committee’s decision process. Specific examples are also important in nominations.
Recommenders are also encouraged to consider the following questions:
- What sets this person apart among teachers at Smith College?
- Is there anything unique or unusual about this instructor’s teaching style that heightened your learning?
- Are there specific examples of engagement with students you would like to highlight?
If you send a nomination email, please be sure to include:
- Your name
- Whether you are a Smith student, faculty member, or alumna
- The name of the teacher you are nominating
- Carrie Baker, Professor of the Study of Women and Gender
- James Lowenthal, Mary Elizabeth Moses Professor of Astronomy
- Denise McKahn, Associate Professor of Engineering
- Randi Garcia, Assistant Professor of Psychology and of Statistical and Data Sciences
- Judith Keyler Mayer, Senior Lecturer in German Studies
- Kiki Smith ’71, Professor of Theatre
- David Gorin, Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Suk Massey, Lecturer in East Asian Languages and Literatures
- Tina Wildhagen, Associate Professor of Sociology and Dean of the Sophomore Class
- Mark Brandriss, Senior Lecturer in Geosciences
- Ginetta Candelario ’90, Professor of Sociology and Latin American and Latino/a Studies
- Laura A. Katz, Elsie Damon Simonds Professor of Biological Sciences
- Payal Banerjee, Assistant Professor of Sociology
- Naomi J. Miller, Professor of English and the Study of Women and Gender
- Elizabeth Stordeur Pryor, Assistant Professor of History
- Justina Gregory ’67, Sophia Smith Professor of Classical Languages and Literature
- Sara B. Pruss, Associate Professor of Geosciences
- Alan N. Rudnitsky, Professor of Education and Child Study
- Rodger Blum, Professor of Dance
- Caroline Melly, Assistant Professor of Anthropology
- Mary Murphy, Senior Lecturer in Mathematics and Statistics
- Andrea Hairston ’74, Louise Wolff Kahn 1931 Professor of Theatre and Afro-American Studies
- Susannah Howe, Director of the Design Clinic and Senior Lecturer in Engineering
- Douglas Patey, Sophia Smith Professor of English Language and Literature
- Michael Barresi, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
- Floyd Cheung, Associate Professor of English Language and Literature
- Jennifer Guglielmo, Associate Professor of History
- Leonard Berkman, Anne Hesseltine Hoyt Professor of Theatre
- Susan Van Dyne, Professor of the Study of Women and Gender
- Gregory White, Professor of Government
- Nicholas Horton, Associate Professor of Mathematics and Statistics
- Róisín O’Sullivan, Associate Professor of Economics
- Michael Thurston, Professor of English Language and Literature
- Kimberly Kono, Associate Professor of East Asian Languages and Literatures
- Beth Powell, Lecturer in Psychology
- Kate Queeney, Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Randall Bartlett, Professor of Economics
- John B. Brady, Mary Elizabeth Moses Professor of Geology
- Patricia Marten DiBartolo ’89, Professor of Psychology
- Mary Harrington, Tippit Professor in the Life Sciences
- Sabina Knight, Associate Professor of East Asian Languages and Literatures
- Borjana Mikic, Associate Professor of Engineering
- Kevin Quashie, Associate Professor of Afro-American Studies
- Justin Cammy, Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies
- John Hellweg, Professor of Theater
- Samuel Intrator, Associate Professor of Education and Child Study
- Kevin Shea, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Giovanna Bellesia, Professor of Italian Language and Literature
- H. Robert Burger, Achilles Professor of Geology
- Glenn Ellis, Associate Professor of Engineering
- Marguerite Harrison, Assistant Professor of Spanish and Portuguese
- Patrick Coby, Professor of Government
- Susan Etheredge, Associate Professor of Education and Child Study
- Dana Leibsohn, Associate Professor of Art
- William Oram, Helen Means Professor of English Language and Literature
- David Cohen, Professor of Mathematics
- Shizuka Hsieh, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Mahnaz Mahdavi, Associate Professor of Economics
- Vittoria Poletto, Senior Lecturer in Italian Language and Literature