Smith Announces Updates Related to Spring Break, Spring Courses
News of Note
Smith College has announced updates related to COVID-19 planning on campus.
In an email sent to the campus community this afternoon, President Kathleen McCartney announced five significant developments:
- In-person classes will be offered on campus through Friday, March 13.
- Spring recess will be extended by one week through Sunday, March 29.
- Alternate modes of instruction will be offered for the curriculum, beginning on March 30. Students will receive more information in the coming days.
- All students must move out of their on-campus housing beginning on Saturday, March 14, until Friday, March 20, at the latest. Students should not expect to return this semester.
- Students in study-abroad and study-away programs will remain in place.
Room and board will be provided only to students who have no option but to remain on campus, including those from countries with travel restrictions, those whose legal residence is Smith College and those with other extenuating circumstances.
“These were not easy decisions to make, given our commitment to the residential liberal arts college model,” President Kathleen McCartney noted in making the announcement. “I know that these actions are extremely disruptive for all of us. However, we have a duty to protect and care for the most vulnerable among us—those students, staff and faculty on the CDC’s list of those who are at a higher risk of developing complications from COVID-19.”
An FAQ has been posted online.
Smith’s COVID-19 website, with detailed information about the college’s response, is online.