In our work with students, faculty, and staff, the Wurtele Center for Leadership embraces and advocates for a collaborative approach to leadership. We strive to empower members of the Smith community with an understanding that they can lead from any vantage point, whether they hold positional power or not. At the same time, we recognize and seek to dismantle the power structures that produce inequities in leadership. We design workshops, programs, talks, partnerships with other campus units, and other learning experiences that encourage participants to understand themselves (ME) and collaborate productively with others (WE) in order to apply their knowledge and lead change (IMPACT).
Featured Leadership Events
Leadership Enrichment Series: Creating a Roadmap For the Year
- Campus Center 103/104, 12:15-1:30 p.m.
- Monthly series open to all students. Lunch will be provided. Attendance is capped at 25. RSVP to attend: https://socialnetwork.smith.edu/event/7333289.
Amplifying Inquiry: Democratizing Knowledge Through Public Scholarship
- Virtual Webinar, 7-8:30 p.m.
- Featuring Esther Ngumbi, Linda Villarosa, and Katina Rogers. Three scholars with backgrounds in science, the humanities and journalism who are actively engaged in drawing scholarly work into public discourse in order to inform public conversations in an effort to democratize knowledge. Click to register.
Podcasting Workshop #1 - The Art of Podcasting As Social Scholarship
- Virtual Event, 7-8:30 p.m.
- Featuring Gabriela Acosta (‘12), host of The Way We Lead podcast. An in-depth look at the growing popularity of podcasting and discuss the ways in which scholars and researchers can increase their public impact by leveraging this medium. Click to rsvp for Zoom link.
Agency + Receptivity: How to Effectively Activate Public Spaces through the Platform of Public Art
- Wurtele Center patio, 146 Elm Street, 4:30- 6 p.m.
Featuring Pasqualina Azzarello. This dynamic and engaging session is designed to demystify the inquiry and practice of public art, and how to thoughtfully develop a project that effectively activates public space. Click to rsvp.
A Center for Women’s Leadership
A visionary gift from Margaret Wurtele ’67 and her late husband, Angus Wurtele, has enabled Smith to further distinguish itself as the preeminent college for women’s leadership.