Stephanie Jarvi Steele
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Contact & Office Hours
Friday 12:30–2:30 p.m.
Bass Hall 303
Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, Suffolk University
A.B. in Psychology, Smith College
Stephanie Jarvi Steele ’07, returned to Smith and joined the psychology department in 2022. Steele directs the Behavioral Assessment of Self-Injury Lab (BASIL), which aims to further elucidate risk factors for self-injurious thoughts and behaviors. Current BASIL projects include exploration of non-suicidal self-injury (NSSI) among parents and the role of self-disgust in NSSI. She regularly teaches Abnormal Psychology, Research Methods and a seminar on high-risk behaviors in psychopathology.
Steele is a licensed clinical psychologist in Massachusetts; she earned her Ph.D. in clinical psychology at Suffolk University in Boston and completed her predoctoral clinical internship at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. Steele then completed a two-year postdoctoral research fellowship at Boston University in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, where she worked on a large clinical trial exploring the efficacy of transdiagnostic cognitive-behavioral therapy for the treatment of comorbid alcohol use and anxiety disorders. Steele taught at Williams College as a visiting assistant professor of psychology for three years before returning to Smith and the Northampton area with her wife and two young sons.
(*) Indicates publications in which a student mentee was included as a co-author.
1. Jarvi Steele, S., Bjorgvinsson, T., & Swenson, L. P. (2023). Implicit assessment of non-suicidal self-injury: Group differences in temporal stability of the Self-Injury Implicit Association Test (SI-IAT). Archives of Suicide Research. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/13811118.2023.2247042
2. Jarvi Steele, S., Jaffe, N.*, & Murray, G.* (2023). Social contagion of non-suicidal self-injury. In Lloyd-Richardson, E., Baetens, I., & J. Whitlock (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Nonsuicidal Self-Injury. Oxford University Press. (online edn, Oxford Academic, 16 August). 2023), https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780197611272.013.42
3. Sauer-Zavala, S., Fournier, J., Jarvi Steele, S., Woods, B. K., Wang, M., Farchione, T. J., & Barlow, D. H. (2021). Does the Unified Protocol really treat neuroticism? Results from a randomized-controlled trial. Psychological Medicine, 51(14), 2378-2387. https://doi.org/10.1017%2FS0033291720000975 (First authorship is shared by Sauer-Zavala & Fournier)
4. Liu, R. T., Jarvi Steele, S., Hamilton, J. L., Do, Q. B. P., Furbish, K.*, Burke, T. A., Martinez, A., & Gerlus, N. (2020). Sleep and suicide: A systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. Clinical Psychology Review, 81, 1-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2020.101895
5. Jarvi Steele, S., Furbish, K.*, Bjorgvinsson, T., & Swenson, L. P. (2020). An exploratory mixed methods approach to implicit and explicit identification with non-suicidal self-injury. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 69, 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbtep.2020.101594
6. Sauer-Zavala, S., Bentley, K. H., Jarvi Steele, S., Wilner Tirpak, J., Ametaj, A. A., Nauphal, M., Cardona, N., Wang, M., Farchione, T. J., & Barlow, D. H. (2020). Treating depressive disorders with the Unified Protocol: A preliminary randomized evaluation. Journal of Affective Disorders, 264, 438-445. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2019.11.072
7. Farchione, T. J., Jarvi Steele, S., Woods, B. K.*, Curreri, A. J.*, Wang, M.*, & Barlow, D. H. (2020). Unified Protocol: A transdiagnostic CBT approach. In N. M. Simon, E. Hollander, B. O. Rothbaum, & D. J. Stein (Eds.), APA Textbook of Anxiety, Trauma, and OCD-related Disorders (pp. 113- 122). Washington, D.C.: APA Publishing.
8. Peckham, A. D., Jordan, H., Silverman, A. L., Jarvi Steele, S., Bjorgvinsson, T., & Beard, C. (2019). From urges to action: Negative urgency and nonsuicidal self-injury in an acute transdiagnostic sample. Archives of Suicide Research, 24(3), 367-383. https://doi.org/10.1080/13811118.2019.1625831
9. Jarvi Steele, S., Farchione, T. J., Cassiello-Robbins, C., Ametaj, A., Sbi, S.*, Sauer-Zavala, S., & Barlow, D. H. (2018). Efficacy of the Unified Protocol for transdiagnostic treatment of comorbid psychopathology accompanying emotional disorders compared to treatments targeting single disorders. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 104, 211-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2018.08.005
10. Jarvi, S. M., Swenson, L. P., & Batejan, K. L. (2017). Motivation for and use of social network sites: Comparisons among college students with and without histories of non-suicidal self-injury. Journal of American College Health, 65(5), 306-312. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2017.1312410
11. Jarvi, S. M., & Swenson, L. P. (2017). The role of positive expectancies in risk behavior: An exploration of alcohol use and non-suicidal self-injury. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 38(2), 115-122. https://doi.org/10.1027/0227-5910/a000417
12. Jarvi, S. M., Hearon, B. A., Batejan, K. L., Gironde, S., & Bjorgvinsson, T. (2016). Relations between past-week physical activity and recent nonsuicidal self-injury in treatment-seeking psychiatric adults. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 73(4), 479-488. https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.22342
13. Jarvi, S. M., Baskin-Sommers, A., Hearon, B. A., Gironde, S., & Bjorgvinsson, T. (2016). Borderline personality traits predict poorer functioning after partial hospitalization: The mediating role of depressive symptomatology. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 40, 128-138. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10608-015-9726-0
14. Batejan, K. L., Swenson, L. P., Jarvi, S. M., & Muehlenkamp, J. J. (2015). Perceptions of the functions of non-suicidal self-injury in a college sample. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 36(5), 338-344. https://doi.org/10.1027/0227-5910/a000332
15. Batejan, K. L., Jarvi, S. M., & Swenson, L. P. (2015). Relations between sexual orientation and non-suicidal self-injury: A meta-analytic review. Archives of Suicide Research, 19(2), 131-150. https://doi.org/10.1080/13811118.2014.957450
16. Muehlenkamp, J. J., Swenson, L. P., Batejan, K. L., & Jarvi, S. M. (2015). Emotional and behavioral effects of participating in an online study of nonsuicidal self-injury: An experimental analysis. Clinical Psychological Science, 3(1), 26-37. https://doi.org/10.1177/2167702614531579
17. Reisner, S. L., Conron, K. J., Tardiff, L. A., Jarvi, S. M., & Austin, S. B. (2014). Monitoring the health of transgender and other gender minority populations: Validity of natal sex and gender identity survey items in a U.S. national cohort of young adults. BMC Public Health, 14, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-1224
18. Jarvi, S. M., Jackson, B., Swenson, L. P., & Crawford, H. L. (2013). The impact of social contagion on non-suicidal self-injury: A review of the literature. Archives of Suicide Research, 17(1), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/13811118.2013.748404