Save the Date! Commencement is on Sunday, May 19, 2024. Several other local colleges are holding their commencement ceremonies the same weekend this year—we strongly encourage booking lodging as soon as possible.
Event Locations & Seating
Ivy Day and Commencement will be held outside on the Quadrangle except in the case of inclement weather. The signal that Ivy Day or Commencement will be held indoors at the Track and Tennis Facility will be the ringing of the college bells at 8 a.m.; the doors of the ITT will also open at that time. Ceremonies will be streamed live to Facebook. No account is required to watch. For further information, contact email@example.com.
In order for us to ensure that we pronounce your name correctly during Commencement activities, all graduating students will receive an email from NameCoach with a unique link that will allow you to log in and record your name. It is important that you do this in advance to assist us in reading names correctly during the ceremony. If you need technical assistance with NameCoach, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following Smith College tradition, graduating students wear academic regalia for the first time at Rally Day, three months before Commencement. For Commencement, graduating seniors should come dressed in their full regalia.
Caps and gowns will be available for preorder online and can be picked up at the Smith College Bookstore.
Those receiving financial aid have the option of participating in the Regalia Loan Program lottery offered through the Student Government Association. All students will be invited to enter the lottery in January and will be notified in early February as to whether they can receive regalia through this program.
Only students who receive Smith aid and are verified through Student Financial Services are eligible to enter the lottery. Questions regarding this program should be directed to the SGA office at email@example.com.
The Madeleine is published in the fall and a copy will be mailed to graduates at their parent’s home address in mid-October. Additional copies of the book or past books may be purchased through the Office of Student Engagement for $50 each.
Photography & News Media
- A photographer from GradImages will be at the Commencement ceremony to take photographs of each graduate. Graduates will receive a free passport-sized digital proof of this photo on an order card within 5-7 days following the ceremony.
- Questions may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After the ceremony you may order online at www.gradimages.com or call 800-261-2576.
- Prior to the ceremony: To pre-register your permanent email address, please visit www.gradimages.com and click on Pre-Event Registration. You may add contact information for up to six additional relatives and/or friends.
- GradImages never has and never will sell or share the address/email information provided to us.
News Reporters & Photographers
Media representatives must have Smith-issued credentials, worn in full view, to enter the roped-off areas of the campus on Saturday and Sunday.
We understand that international students who hope to have family members attend graduation may need documentation about their travels. Please see the International Students & Scholars Office's travel page for more information about how to obtain a personal letter of invitation.