CIRT Update: COVID-19 Community Spread and Reporting Form, March 23, 2020
Dear students, staff and faculty:
I write to update you on the spread of COVID-19 within the local community and to share important guidance on how to protect yourself and those around you. Please read this email carefully.
- As we communicated this morning, the college is proceeding as if there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 within the community.
- There is significant, local community spread of COVID-19; Cooley Dickinson Hospital, which serves our local community, reports nearly 75 individuals under investigation or with test results pending. Five cases have been confirmed.
- Testing remains limited within Massachusetts and test results may take several days. As testing increases, the number of reported cases will rise.
Therefore, we are asking that any student, staff or faculty member who has symptoms consistent with COVID-19 act in accordance with CDC guidelines for those who have contracted the disease and:
- Contact your primary care provider for guidance. Do not go in person to any medical provider without first calling for advice. In support of physical distancing, we recommend using telehealth resources. For employees, Harvard Pilgrim, the college’s health insurance provider, supports www.doctorondemand.com.
- Remain at home and practice self-isolation to limit the spread of the disease.
- If you are an employee, notify your department head and fill out this private form to support the Schacht Center for Health and Wellness in its public health response. Updates can also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “COVID follow up.” Please note that the Schacht Center cannot provide medical services to employees and is only acting in this case as a repository of community health information.
- If you are a student on campus, call the Schacht Center for Health and Wellness at 413-585-2800. Students are asked to provide health updates to the Schacht Center via the secure and confidential patient portal.
- If you are a student off campus, call your primary care provider and seek medical care and guidance in your current location. We encourage all students to provide an update to the Schacht Center via the secure and confidential patient portal.
To track the health of the Smith community, it is critical that students and employees let the Schacht Center know if they are being tested for or are presumed positive for COVID-19 via the channels listed above. The college will not release any identifying information about potential cases in accordance with privacy guidelines and HIPAA privacy law.
In closing, I ask that every member of our community, regardless of their physical health, ensure their well-being and use all available mental health resources. Students may contact the Schacht Center for Health and Wellness for counseling support. Employees are encouraged to use the Employee Assistance Program.
Vice President for Finance & Administration
Chair, COVID-19 Incident Response Team (CIRT)