Strategic Plan Update
May 19, 2016
Dear students, staff and faculty,
I am pleased to invite your comments on the draft of the new strategic plan for Smith College.
Sharing this draft plan with the Smith community marks an important milestone in a 15-month strategic planning process, led by the Committee on Mission and Priorities (CMP). The process began in February 2015 with an open call for proposals. Since that time I have worked with CMP, my senior team and others to refine the 190 proposals submitted by our community and to synthesize them into the strategic themes outlined in the plan.
Throughout this year we have shared and tested the evolving draft with faculty, staff and students via retreats and playback sessions; at each stage, we have revised the plan based on the feedback received. The result is a plan organized around five strategic themes:
- Face-to-face education
- Inclusion, diversity and equity
- Experiential and applied opportunities
- Emerging methods, fields and pedagogies
- “Wicked problems”
I invite you to consider these themes and to offer your comments on the areas where we intend to create, strengthen and optimize programs in support of our shared vision for Smith.
As you review the plan (posted online along with a comment form on the strategic planning page of the Smith website) please consider the following questions:
- Do these themes and initiatives reflect your aspirations and ambitions for Smith?
- Does the overall plan build on Smith’s distinctive assets?
- What ideas need to be further clarified or refined?
Members of CMP will review all feedback in advance of finalizing the plan in the fall. Please submit all comments using the online form by September 15, 2016 to ensure your input can be considered by CMP.
CMP members 2015–16
- Kathleen McCartney, Chair
- Katherine Rowe, Provost and Dean of Faculty; Vice Chair
- Julia Collins ’17
- Robert Dorit, Biological Sciences
- Elliot Fratkin, Anthropology (Faculty Council representative)
- Michael Howard, Vice President for Finance & Administration
- Cade Johnson ’16
- Barbara Kellum, Art (Faculty Council representative)
- Elisa Lanzi, Smith Libraries
- Donna Lisker, Dean of the College
- Bill Peterson, Associate Provost
- Beth Raffeld, VP for Development
- Rebecca Shaw, Associate Dean of Students
- Jeffry Ramsey, Philosophy
- Alan Rudnitsky, Education and Child Study