The Grécourt Gate welcomes your submissions. To discuss a story idea of interest to the Smith community, contact Barbara Solow at 413-585-2171 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Smith eDigest is sent to all campus email accounts on Tuesday and Thursday each week during the academic year and on Tuesdays during the summer. Items for eDigest are limited to official Smith business and must be submitted by 5 p.m. on the day prior to the next edition’s distribution.
Smith Bids Farewell to Retiring Faculty
At the close of the academic year, the college honored 13 retiring faculty members with a combined 420 years of service to Smith.
This year’s retiring faculty members are:
- Silvia Berger, senior lecturer in Spanish and Portuguese
- Nalini Bhushan, Andrew W. Mellon Professor in the Humanities and Professor of Philosophy
- Anna Botta, professor of Italian studies and of world literatures
- Lois Dubin, professor of religion
- Velma García, professor of government
- Andrea Hairston ’74, Louise Wolff Kahn Professor of Theatre
- Maria Estela Harretche, professor of Spanish and Portuguese
- Ellen Kaplan, professor of theatre
- Judith Keyler-Mayer, senior lecturer in German studies
- Richard Millington, Helen and Laura Shedd Professor of English Language and Literature
- Grant Moss, senior lecturer in music
- Richard Olivo, professor of biological sciences
- Ruth Ozeki ’80, Grace Jarcho Ross 1933 Professor of Humanities and Professor of English Language and Literature
President Kathleen McCartney—who is herself retiring after a decade of leading the college—presided over a May 18 ceremony and thanked the retiring educators for their numerous contributions to the college community.
Sarah Willie-LeBreton will begin her tenure as Smith’s 12th president on July 1.