Four exceptional alums whose leadership and contributions have lifted their communities and pushed the world forward will receive the Smith College Medal at Rally Day in February.
The Grécourt Gate welcomes your submissions. To discuss a story idea of interest to the Smith community, contact Barbara Solow at 413-585-2171 or send email to email@example.com.
The Smith eDigest is sent to all campus email accounts on Tuesday and Thursday each week during the academic year and on Tuesdays during the summer. Items for eDigest are limited to official Smith business and must be submitted by 5 p.m. on the day prior to the next edition’s distribution.
College Bids Farewell to Retiring Faculty
At a celebration on campus May 12, nine retiring faculty members were honored for a combined 341 years of service to Smith.
Faculty members who are retiring this year are:
- Donald Baumer, professor of government
- Giovanna Bellesia, professor of Italian studies
- Patrick Coby, Esther Booth Wiley 1934 Professor of Government
- Rosetta Cohen, Myra M. Sampson Professor of Education and Child Study
- Jill de Villiers, professor of philosophy and Sophia and Austin Smith Professor of Psychology
- Marc Lendler, professor of government
- Joseph O’Rourke, Spencer T. and Ann W. Olin Professor of Computer Science and professor of mathematics and statistics
- Dennis Yasutomo, Esther Cloudman Dunn Professor of Government
- Andrew Zimbalist, Robert A. Woods Professor of Economics
At a luncheon in their honor, President Kathleen McCartney praised the retiring faculty members for their many contributions to the college community.