The Grécourt Gate welcomes your submissions. To discuss a story idea of interest to the Smith community, contact Barbara Solow at 413-585-2171 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Smith eDigest is sent to all campus email accounts on Tuesday and Thursday each week during the academic year and on Tuesdays during the summer. Items for eDigest are limited to official Smith business and must be submitted by 5 p.m. on the day prior to the next edition’s distribution.
College Bids Farewell to Retiring Faculty
At a virtual faculty meeting in May, President Kathleen McCartney announced the retirement of 14 faculty members:
- Randall Bartlett, professor of economics
- Nancy Bradbury ’74, professor of English language and literature
- Scott Bradbury, professor of classical languages and literatures
- Mark Brandriss, senior lecturer in geosciences
- Nalini Easwar, professor of physics
- Suzan Edwards, L. Clark Seelye Professor of Astronomy
- Susan Etheredge ’77, professor of education and child study; dean of the college emerita
- Randy Frost, Harold Edward and Elsa Siipola Israel Professor of Psychology
- Daniel Gardner, Dwight W. Morrow Professor of History
- Roger Kaufman, professor of economics
- Ann Leone ’71, professor of French studies
- Charles Staelin, professor of economics
- Janie Vanpée ’72, professor of French studies
- Ling Zhao, lecturer in East Asian languages and cultures
McCartney praised the retiring faculty for their teaching, and shared her hope that their next chapter would offer “opportunities for passion, risk, adventure and generativity.”
The faculty members will be honored in person at an event next year.