Reopening Phase 2 and Mandatory COVID-19 Training, July 14, 2020
Dear staff and faculty:
Phase 2 of Smith’s reopening begins tomorrow, Wednesday, July 15. Phase 2 allows for the return of faculty to their offices to prepare for the fall semester and to begin the process of accessing their labs. It also allows for staff to return to campus once they have received approval. Prior to returning to campus, every employee must complete the steps summarized below. We continue to emphasize that reducing the number of people on campus helps keep everyone healthy; therefore, all employees of the college are urged to work remotely as their jobs allow.
All employees - including contract employees and other affiliates (e.g., Five College employees located at Smith) - are required to participate in a 5-minute training session on community standards associated with COVID-19 and acknowledge they have both watched the training video and read the Smith College Statement of Shared Responsibility.
Participation in this training is required for all employees, including those who plan to continue working remotely. It should be completed by August 3, or before returning to campus, whichever is sooner. Faculty and staff who are already working on campus should complete the training immediately.
This training is being integrated into Workday and will be available Tuesday, July 14. You will receive an email from Workday stating you have a task to complete. The task, labeled Complete Training and Statement of Shared Responsibility, will be located in your Workday Inbox. As a reminder, you can find step-by-step instructions on accessing and navigating Workday on the Workday Help site.
Instructions for faculty
- With the beginning of Phase 2, faculty are allowed to access their offices and labs, alone, to prepare for the fall semester. Visitors are not permitted under any circumstances.
- Before accessing campus resources, faculty must acknowledge that they have watched the training video and read the shared responsibility statement.
- Use of specialized spaces (e.g., laboratories, performance spaces) is only allowed once an operating plan for those spaces is approved. Questions about lab plans should be directed to Clark Science Center administration. Questions about other spaces should be directed to the Office of the Provost.
- Faculty are encouraged to work remotely whenever possible.
Instructions for staff
- Staff members may not work on campus until they have approval from their manager. On-campus work must be part of a department’s operating plan.
- To initiate an on-campus work request for an employee, managers must submit the Return to Campus form on behalf of the employee.
- Before accessing campus resources, staff must acknowledge that they have watched the training video and read the shared responsibility statement.
- Once all of the steps—training, acknowledgement of the statement of shared responsibility, and management approval— are completed, employees will be contacted by a representative from HR.
- Staff who are able to continue performing their work remotely will do so indefinitely.
As a reminder, please remember to periodically review the Culture of Care website, especially the FAQs, as these are being updated regularly. If you have any questions, please send a message to email@example.com.
Vice President for Finance and Administration