Confirmed On-Campus Case Of COVID-19, April 7, 2020
Dear students, staff and faculty:
I write to share that, earlier today, the college was notified that a contractor working on Smith’s campus has tested positive for COVID-19.
The contractor has been off-campus since Thursday, April 2, and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health has worked closely with the contractor’s employer to trace and notify any direct contacts.
While this contractor did not have any interaction with Smith College students, staff or faculty, we are notifying you out of an abundance of caution and to remind you of the significant community spread of COVID-19.
In the interest of protecting this contractor’s privacy - and in following applicable privacy and employment laws - the college is unable to release any further identifying information.
As a reminder, any member of the Smith College community with symptoms related to COVID-19 must contact their primary care provider and follow the college’s exposure response and protocol. On-campus students must contact the Schacht Center immediately if they have symptoms consistent with COVID-19 and should not go to any health care provider without first speaking to a medical professional on the phone.
To track the health of the Smith community, it is critical that students and employees let the Schacht Center know if they are being tested for or are presumed positive for COVID-19 by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 413-585-2800.
I also urge you to follow prevention guidelines:
- Practice physical distancing.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Clean things that are frequently touched (like doorknobs and countertops) with household cleaning spray or wipes.
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. Use a tissue or your inner elbow, not your hands.
- Stay home if you are sick and avoid close contact with others.
Tara Dumont, MD