Action Required: Confirming Vaccination Status and Requesting Medical or Religious Exemptions
Letters to the Community
June 9, 2021
Dear students and employees,
To date, Smith’s Culture of Care plan has enabled us to successfully navigate the COVID-19 pandemic. We are deeply grateful to all of you for what you have done to help keep our community safe and healthy.
As you know, employees will be required to be fully vaccinated by August 1, 2021, and students will be required to be fully vaccinated before the fall semester. This decision enables Smith to provide additional protection for everyone in our community as we resume more customary operations later this summer. As is our practice with other vaccinations, exemptions for medical and religious reasons will be considered on a case by case basis.
To monitor compliance with this requirement, and following the model of other campuses, we require that students and employees upload their completed vaccination card, after their final dose, to the Schacht Center Portal using the instructions below.
We recognize that some of you may seek a religious or medical exemption to the vaccination requirement. Students who wish to apply for a medical exemption may contact the Schacht Center by emailing email@example.com or by calling 413-585-2250 to request an exemption form. Employees should contact their department's Human Resources partner (see list following Process for Reporting Vaccination Status).
Process for reporting vaccination status: Your individual vaccination status will be treated as strictly confidential medical information.
Instructions on uploading documentation to the Schacht Center Portal
- After your final dose, take a picture of your vaccination card with your cell phone, any digital camera or scanner.
- Log in to the Employee/Patient Portal from your computer or cell phone using your Smith username and password.
- From the home screen of the Patient Portal, click the "Upload" icon (top right).
- From the drop-down menu under "Choose document you are uploading,” select "Employee COVID-19 Vaccination Record.”
- Click “Select File.”
- Locate the file you are uploading from your computer or cell phone.
- Click “Upload.” You will see successful document uploads listed under the heading “Documents already on file."
If you are unable to upload, you may fax a copy of your vaccine card to 413.585.4639. If you have questions about the upload process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 413.585.2250 between the hours of 1:00-4:00pm, Monday through Friday. Questions should also be directed to this email address. Please note that the ‘secure messaging’ feature of the Patient Portal should only be used by students.
Follow this link for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
List of Human Resources Partners
- Provost/Dean of Faculty (faculty, academic departments, programs & centers, graduate programs, Registrar (as of 7/1), institutional research, SC Museum of Art, libraries, Botanic Gardens, Campus School, CECE)
- Dean of the College (class deans, career development, athletics, integrative learning, campus life, community engagement, global studies, disability services)
- Facilities, operations, campus safety and dining
- Alumnae Relations and Development
- College Relations & Communications
- Enrollment (Admission, Registrar, Student Financial Services)
- Finance & Administration (Sustainability & Campus Planning, Non Degree programs, Budgets & financial planning, Controller, Human resources, ombudsperson)
- School for Social Work
- Information Technology Services
- Office of Equity and Inclusion (OEI, Title IX, Multicultural Affairs, Religious & Spiritual Life)
- Members of the President's Cabinet
- Board of Trustees Office
- President's Office
- Strategic Initiatives
- Investment Office
If you have further questions about reporting your vaccination status, or Smith’s plans for managing COVID-19, please send them to email@example.com.
Director, Schacht Center for Health and Wellness
On behalf of the Vaccine Working Group