Davis Projects for Peace
Smith College undergraduate students are invited to participate in the Davis United World College Scholars Program's Projects for Peace. The project encourages student initiative, innovation and entrepreneurship focusing on conflict prevention, resolution and reconciliation for a sustainable peace. The program is intended to be worldwide in scope and impact, but specific projects may be undertaken anywhere, including in the United States. The most promising project will be awarded $10,000 for implementation.
About the Fund
Projects for Peace is funded by the Davis family to honor Kathryn W. Davis, a lifelong internationalist and philanthropist who died in April 2013 at the age of 106. Kathryn Davis believed that today's youth—tomorrow's leaders—ought to be challenged to formulate and test their own ideas.
All Smith undergraduates are eligible to apply for this award. Students may apply individually or in groups. Seniors who complete the program over the summer after graduation are eligible for the award. Projects must be undertaken during the summer of the awarded grant.
Thursday, October 4 at noon in the Lewis Global Studies Center
Tuesday, October 30th at 4pm in the Lewis Global Studies Center
Final Proposal Deadline
January 15, 2019
Final Proposal Decision
March 11, 2019
Funding Agreements Signed
March 29, 2019
How to Submit a Proposal
All proposals must include the following:
- A written statement that describes the project in detail and that includes the expected outcomes and prospects for future impact. Proposals must:
- include "Smith College"; title of your project; your name(s); class year(s); dates of the project; country where the project will be performed
- be typed in a legible font (e.g. Times New Roman) in a standard font size (for example, 12 pt.), in a document with one-inch margins on all sides
- not exceed two pages (single-spaced)
- A budget (separate page)
- Supporting documents demonstrating preapproval of all parties and organizations involved (if applicable).
All submissions must be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, to the attention of:
Smith College 100 Projects for Peace Committee
Lewis Global Studies Center
Final decisions on all winning proposals will be announced in March. Acceptances are due shortly thereafter. Grant payments will be made shortly after all agreements have been received.
Due: September 13. 2019 to Davis UWC Scholars Program. The deadline to the LGSC office will be at least a week earlier.
Each funded project must submit a final report. There are instructions on the Projects for Peace Forms page. A separate one-page accounting of the funds expended is to be submitted using the budget template.
Students may attach up to three digital photos to the final report. Reports will be posted on the program's website.