Read Smith’s UPDATED plans as of November 23, 2020,
for the spring 2021 semester.
About the Center
The Jacobson Center for Writing, Teaching and Learning takes its name from Joan Leiman Jacobson ’47, whose generous gift makes its programs possible. The center seeks to improve the teaching and learning of Smith College students by offering services aimed at enabling them to make the most of their education.
News & Updates
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all appointments with the professional staff and the peer tutors at the Jacobson Center are fully online.
For Writing Services
- To schedule a writing counseling appointment with the professional writing instructors and the peer writing tutors, click the button below. You will find a tutorial on registering for the Writing Center Online (WCO) and making appointments on this page. Peer writing tutors no longer have drop-in hours, but are available by WCO appointment in the evening (7-10 pm EST), Sunday through Thursday nights.
- Please note that all appointment times are in U.S. Eastern time. You will need to convert the time to your time zone.
- The primary mode of conferencing is Zoom, with or without video. However, we also offer the option of written feedback only, with no conference. If you elected to have a conference, sometime before your appointment, the writing instructor or peer tutor will send you a Zoom link. If you opted for written feedback only, you will receive comments sometime during the time of your appointment.
If you have questions about writing services not covered here, please contact Julio Alves, director of the Jacobson Center, at email@example.com
For Peer Content Tutoring Services
- The peer content tutors work by appointment only; there are no drop-in hours.
- The primary mode of peer content tutoring is Zoom, with or without video. Prior to your appointment, the tutor will send you a Zoom link.
- Tutors and tutees will need to account for time differences when/if needed.
- Tutors can work in groups up to three when/if needed.
Please note: You are being directed to the Jacobson Center’s new Peer Content Tutor scheduling page.
For Learning Specialist Services
- Kelly Vogel, learning specialist, is available for individual appointments.
- Appointments will be held via Zoom, with or without video. Please email Kelly directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, or simply click the button below to schedule an appointment.
If you have questions about content tutoring and learning specialist services not covered here, please contact Jactutor@smith.edu.
The Jacobson Center Logo
The logo was designed by Elliot Offner, Andrew W. Mellon Professor Emeritus in the Humanities in the Smith College Department of Art, where he taught from 1960 until 2004. He died in 2010. A sculptor and graphic artist, his work is in such collections as the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden and the Brooklyn Museum, and he designed several pieces for the college, including the Smith Medal.